End of analogue satellite in Europe

Talk about anything here.
tin

End of analogue satellite in Europe

Post by tin »

Hi all

This is quite off topic, but as it involves the same satellite technology that was in the background of PG I thought it worth mentioning. I guess it might also be quite interesting as I presume the US/Canada moved on from Analogue satellite a very long time ago, as indeed did the UK - commercially at least.

When the first satellite providers started up in the UK there were two different technologies, one was built from the ground up with new satellites and new broadcasting technology (D-MAC), and one used what was sort of considered to be an communications satellite (rather than what at the time was deemed a proper Direct-to-Home satellite) and the existing broadcast standard that had been used terrestrially for many years (Analogue PAL). The former spent too much money on developing the technology, launching the satellites, and having big plush offices and parties and stuff, and failed, leaving the other to gain a monopoly in the UK market (well they officially merged, but not really). The one that won was Rupert Murdoch's Sky - apparently the worlds first commercial DTH satellite service!

The satellite they used to broadcast to the UK public was Astra1 at 19.2 degrees east. It was joined by several other satellites at the same orbital position (I believe this was unique at the time) and so basically transmitted numerous (was 16, then 32, then 48 then 64 AFAIR) analogue channels to Europe. Some were cool in that they were supposed to be genuinely pan-european (like MTV, Eurosport, and Lifestyle satellite jukebox, which I have mentioned before) and in the same way that prevue guide transmitted the different audio and data over audio subcarriers, you could listen to - particularly Eurosport - in different languages while watching the same picture.

Astra 1 pretty much ended up serving the UK and Germany - they were by far the biggest two users of the satellite transponders, although there were channels destined for other European countries transmitted over the years. Germany's TV on this satellite pretty much stayed Free-To-Air so their channels could also be watched on bog standard Analogue equipment as used in the UK at the time. Sky on the other hand had developed videocrypt encryption and slowly but surely nearly all UK channels became encrypted, with subscription payments required to watch. Because of Sky's control of access to the channels, they had forced migration of almost all UK viewers to the Sky Digital platform by 2001, broadcast from a different orbital position (Astra 2), and using proprietary technology, and analogue (and, shamefully, European) watching pretty much ended in the UK.

Again a little bit like the digital data sent to PG, Astra even had a specific digital audio service called ADR, where the data was broadcast on a subcarrier and re-assembled into digital Audio by the receiver - over an analogue TV channel. Weird!

However Astra1 carried on for a lot longer I guess than anyone expected. As of last month there were still a good number of German channels still transmitting, including Eurosport which was the most interesting one still for UK viewers. I still had an Amstrad SRD2000 (with built in dolby pro-logic decoder and amplifer!) set up that still received these broadcasts.

However the end of April marked the final end of Analogue satellite in Germany, on Astra 1, and it seems in Europe, with the cessation of Analogue broadcast on all transponders, and the replacement on some of them with a new digital HD service. The video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBBRsJJZ5k shows a guy flicking through the channels in the last few hours.

This is sad for me for a number of reasons. Firstly I have two very very nice analogue recievers that work perfectly well that now are of no use whatsoever, and second, because digital TV over here at least is vastly over-compressed. There's no detail in any pictures any more, and the Analogue signal is - ridiculously - much better looking than the digital equivalent. Possibly the rapid adoption of HD which is really gathering pace is starting to make that not true any more, but it does seem odd that we replaced something from 1988 in 2000 that actually gave viewers a worse picture, and in 2012 we're still doing it.

Finally of course, that someone still broadcast analogue pictures with audio subcarriers, as was used in prevue guide, was kind of cool. Now it's gone.

Anyway I hope this hasn't been too boring for you with me rambling on, just thought it might be a little bit of interest! One other thing, I wonder if this means there's the slightest chance of being able to pick up second hand whatever the piece of equipment is called that muxes the video and audio subcarriers to a baseband signal. Such a thing would of course be very useful in getting real PG hardware to actually work 100% again :)
nwgatwcfan

Re: End of analogue satellite in Europe

Post by nwgatwcfan »

tin,

I understand your feelings about the analog switchoff. Here in the States, the analog shutdown took place at the beginning of 2011, but most channels had switched over to either Digicipher II/4DTV or were completely scrambled that even a large dish owner could not use a standard receiver/decoder to view long before 2011. The last few holdouts were actually TBS, CNN, and the Weather Channel. The Weather Channel stayed on analog for those cable systems that still used their legacy graphics systems (see WeatherStar and Intellistar for more information.)

I remember in HIgh School, I had a Japanese class that was delivered via satellite to the television in the classroom. Sometimes during my lunch break, I would go in and view what was free to air or showing on satellite. I remember hitting F4-08, because that was Prevue Guide's satellite transponder. Ever since my high school days, I have been a satellite aficianado. I did not get a chance to own one though, because of the expense and size of the dish. But, I would have loved to have one. I would buy the Satellite Orbit magazine, just to see what programming was out there and what my cable company wouldn't dare offer.

But, I am sadden as well that the C-band dish is being replaced by DirectTV and Dish Network as the leading satellite companies, for the same reasons you have. They overcompress the channels on these satellites and the picture quality does not do as well as analog or as 4DTV satellite. They are doing the same with our cable TV companies as well. Many systems here have switched to all digital only and the TV tuners will not pick up anything. They force you to rent a converter box from them for extra money, unless you have a newer TV and even then they encrypt many of the channels.

Steven
Win95Setup

Post by Win95Setup »

nwgatwcfan wrote:Many systems here have switched to all digital only and the TV tuners will not pick up anything. They force you to rent a converter box from them for extra money, unless you have a newer TV and even then they encrypt many of the channels.
Analog cable still exists where I live. The analog cable boxes got discontinued 10 years ago and since then, many channels have disappeared from analog just because the channels and the cable companies want you to switch just to get more money. One day, I believe that the cable company might pull the plug on analog cable, but quite a few people still use it because it is cheaper. Well, with digital cable in Canada, you have to have a box in all cases.
kwest93

Post by kwest93 »

Win95Setup wrote:
nwgatwcfan wrote:Many systems here have switched to all digital only and the TV tuners will not pick up anything. They force you to rent a converter box from them for extra money, unless you have a newer TV and even then they encrypt many of the channels.
Analog cable still exists where I live. The analog cable boxes got discontinued 10 years ago and since then, many channels have disappeared from analog just because the channels and the cable companies want you to switch just to get more money. One day, I believe that the cable company might pull the plug on analog cable, but quite a few people still use it because it is cheaper. Well, with digital cable in Canada, you have to have a box in all cases.
or if possible, an HDTV with DIgital Tuner (Basic Cable Style).