New youtube videos

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
tin

Re: New youtube videos

Post by tin »

Hmmm now that's interesting..... gonna have a look :)
Win95Setup

Post by Win95Setup »

AriX wrote:Ah, good catch. It looks to me like the C-band listing scroll is running the old Prevue Guide software... but I could be totally wrong.
The C-band listings are not based on the old Prevue Guide software. I have two reasons why.

A listing entry in the old Prevue software is half the size of the ones in the blue grid usually. I compared them in the video and they matched which means that the C-band version does not run the old Prevue software.
This recording comes from late 1993. The Prevue software was updated to the blue grid in April 1993 and I don't think the C-band listings would be late on a update like that.
tin

Post by tin »

Hmmm i think so too, just another grid PG running in the background with a faster scroll. Probably.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Win95Setup wrote:A listing entry in the old Prevue software is half the size of the ones in the blue grid usually. I compared them in the video and they matched which means that the C-band version does not run the old Prevue software.
Got it - you're right.
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

I just uploaded a yellow grid recording from 9 June 2000...

I do not have a tuner card; sorry for the camera rip...
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Thanks for posting... that psychic infomercial is so terrible!
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

And I thought that TV Guide was so loaded with that celebrity crap that they would have no room for infomercials. Never seen one for a non-Amiga grid. lol. Nice find!
tin

Post by tin »

Fair do's the PC based yellow grid actually looks smooth. I can't believe it tbh, but it's quite impressive, especially considering the spec of PC it must have been at the time.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Fair do's the PC based yellow grid actually looks smooth. I can't believe it tbh, but it's quite impressive, especially considering the spec of PC it must have been at the time.
Yeah, the scrolling actually looks quite good. But I was told that United Video actually developed their own PCI cards to generate the scrolling display; it wasn't fully implemented in software like on the Amiga or Atari. (Most of the tech was developed in 1998/1999.)

I have a copy of the font that was used for the guide; it's probably the same one that is currently used on TVGN installations that still have the grid. It is also the same one used in i-Guide IPGs. I'm not sure if I should post it publicly; message me if you want it.
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

The scrolling looks even better in person... ;-) Also, the picture quality of this recording is relatively good for VHS, probably because I recorded it in SP mode.

Also, do you know at least the name of the typeface?
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to