Looking for help regarding emulation

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Retro_guy1

Looking for help regarding emulation

Post by Retro_guy1 »

So I grew up with Prevue Guide, and loved the old music from the 1980's. One day I came home from school, and the system went down, it was only playing that music. So I grabbed my tape recorder and got it on cassette tape. I wish I would have thought about recording it on VHS but the thought never occurred to me.

In any event, I've seen a few things about emulation for Prevue Guide. I have been to the Prevue Guide Neocities page, and am a little confused about the emulator. I'm not sure if it was here on the forum, or at the Neocities page, but I remember reading at one point that all you needed was the emulator and rom files. Adjust settings, set a lot of things up, edit lots of files etc. but then I remember reading that you need Amiga Forever if you want the emulator.

If it's already been specified then I must have missed it and apologize in advance. So do I need to buy this Amiga Forever to get the emulator?

I'm also confused about CLI. Are the files and everything I would need to setup a Prevue Guide available, or have links gone dead? I really would love to set this all up for myself, but I've had experiences in the past where I start working on something, half way through I can't finish it because of external problems, mostly dead links, or outdated information.

Thank you :)
PajamaDarkness

Re: Looking for help regarding emulation

Post by PajamaDarkness »

Guy who operates the Prevue Neocities here.
Retro_guy1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:49 am I remember reading at one point that all you needed was the emulator and rom files. Adjust settings, set a lot of things up, edit lots of files etc. but then I remember reading that you need Amiga Forever if you want the emulator.

If it's already been specified then I must have missed it and apologize in advance. So do I need to buy this Amiga Forever to get the emulator?
I only wrote this into the post because of piracy concerns. The Amiga Prevue Guide builds we have seem to require a Kickstart version of 2.04 to boot properly (some seem to have luck with v2.05 though), however the only legal way to obtain it is by purchasing Cloanto Amiga Forever. Though, if you know where to look, you can find a copy of the 'KS ROM v2.04' ROM. Google may be of help.

The Prevue software on the other hand can just be obtained here.
Retro_guy1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:49 am I'm also confused about CLI. Are the files and everything I would need to setup a Prevue Guide available, or have links gone dead? I really would love to set this all up for myself, but I've had experiences in the past where I start working on something, half way through I can't finish it because of external problems, mostly dead links, or outdated information.
If you're finding dead links on the Neocities, it isn't fully finished yet. If you're looking for a tutorial without dead links I would rather recommend looking at this instead. (Links shouldn't be dead here, but if they are let me know and I'll fix them when I get the free time.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
Retro_guy1

Re: Looking for help regarding emulation

Post by Retro_guy1 »

PajamaDarkness wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:04 pm Guy who operates the Prevue Neocities here.
Retro_guy1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:49 am I remember reading at one point that all you needed was the emulator and rom files. Adjust settings, set a lot of things up, edit lots of files etc. but then I remember reading that you need Amiga Forever if you want the emulator.

I only wrote this into the post because of piracy concerns. The Amiga Prevue Guide builds we have seem to require a Kickstart version of 2.04 to boot properly (some seem to have luck with v2.05 though), however the only legal way to obtain it is by purchasing Cloanto Amiga Forever. Though, if you know where to look, you can find a copy of the 'KS ROM v2.04' ROM. Google may be of help.

The Prevue software on the other hand can just be obtained here.
Retro_guy1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:49 am I'm also confused about CLI. Are the files and everything I would need to setup a Prevue Guide available, or have links gone dead? I really would love to set this all up for myself, but I've had experiences in the past where I start working on something, half way through I can't finish it because of external problems, mostly dead links, or outdated information.
If you're finding dead links on the Neocities, it isn't fully finished yet. If you're looking for a tutorial without dead links I would rather recommend looking at this instead. (Links shouldn't be dead here, but if they are let me know and I'll fix them when I get the free time.
Thanks for the helpful information PajamaDarkness. I'll start looking at this when I get some free time.