New simulator ;)

Discuss Prevue simulation here.
tin

New simulator ;)

Post by tin »

Check it out :) what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMc3mqa8OAM

I thought I would post as I'm not going to be able to work on it over the long weekend (extra bank holidays here in the UK, yeahhhh) so it will stay like this for a while.

I tried to get it as realistic to TV guide era grid as possible, although there's a couple of prevue logos in there at the moment :). The only really important thing it's missing at the moment is the way to get real programme data into it, but I would just need to create a couple of routines to put it in place of the test data, as it's correctly formatted.

Prizes* for guessing what it's written in :mrgreen:

* well, actually there are no prizes, sorry.
Bolt96

Re: New simulator ;)

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:Check it out :) what do you think?

I thought I would post as I'm not going to be able to work on it over the long weekend (extra bank holidays here in the UK, yeahhhh) so it will stay like this for a while.

I tried to get it as realistic to TV guide era grid as possible, although there's a couple of prevue logos in there at the moment :). The only really important thing it's missing at the moment is the way to get real programme data into it, but I would just need to create a couple of routines to put it in place of the test data, as it's correctly formatted.

Wow, looks very cool! :) As for the language C++ ?? Is this Mac or PC?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Check it out :) what do you think?

lol, nice job! This seems to be on Windows, judging by the cursor in the bottom right. Unfortunately, I have no idea what one would write a program like this in on Windows, so count me out of that contest. But I'm very curious.

Maybe you want to slow the scrolling down a bit? ;)
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote:Maybe you want to slow the scrolling down a bit? ;)
The scrolling is of course, configurable, although only by a quick edit in the code at the moment. I might do an emulation of the diagnostic mode and hotkeys but I am not sure that I will. I always quite liked the fast scroll but I do see it's faster than any video I've seen.

I was gutted when I realised I left the mouse pointer on screen during the video capture, but it was way too late to do another. So yeah this is running on windows, at the moment.

Keep guessing on the language :) I'll do a little bit more work on it next week and release a beta - that's if you don't mind looking at mickey mouse coding of course.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:
AriX wrote:Maybe you want to slow the scrolling down a bit? ;)
The scrolling is of course, configurable, although only by a quick edit in the code at the moment. I might do an emulation of the diagnostic mode and hotkeys but I am not sure that I will. I always quite liked the fast scroll but I do see it's faster than any video I've seen.

I was gutted when I realised I left the mouse pointer on screen during the video capture, but it was way too late to do another. So yeah this is running on windows, at the moment.

Keep guessing on the language :) I'll do a little bit more work on it next week and release a beta - that's if you don't mind looking at mickey mouse coding of course.
Oooh, I like the at the moment part :p

Java? Qt? WxWidgets?

Media through QuickTime? LibVLC?
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Unlikely, but VB? BTW I would love to see some hi-res screencaps when you can. ;)
tin

Post by tin »

None of the guesses so far :mrgreen: I'll do a tiny bit of work on it next week and release the code to whoever wants. Then you'll know :D
tin

Post by tin »

Full size image as requested :)

AriX, I'm having trouble making it work on Mac... could be a problem but I think you probably can work around it.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Full size image as requested :)

AriX, I'm having trouble making it work on Mac... could be a problem but I think you probably can work around it.
Don't worry about it - when you're ready, just post the source, and I'll post a Mac binary if anyone wants it. (Or, if you don't want to provide source, I'd be happy to help you with a Mac build if you're still having trouble)

/me still wants to know what it's written in
tin

Post by tin »

I'm dying to reveal, but I think the impact will be greater if I give it to you all at the same time :) There will be source. I have a handle on what the problem is with the Mac version and from what I can see there might be a workaround, but it's not obvious yet how it can be done. There's a couple of nuances to that - i.e. it will probably work on Mac under certain circumstances, but if I say more it will give it away :)