Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
WeatherSTARIII
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

It's been nearly a year since when TV Guide Network became Pop, and the one unusual thing I've notice from a recent video I saw on YouTube (courtesy ImBoardIIDeath since I've also had always been into The Weather Channel thanks to most of his Local On the 8s videos), he pointed out that this Charter cable headend in Grand Coulee, WA (which also serves nearby Electric City and Elmer City), is analog only (and they hardly have any digital cable or even HD channels at all :shock:). But here's the even strange part, while they do carry Pop (you know, the network which hard to believe used to be EPG/Prevue/TV Guide Network over the years), Pop in Grand Coulee, WA still has the split-screen, automatically scrolling program guide grid listings like how it was since the Prevue Guide days. :o

I even thought that Pop (back when they were then TV Guide Network) permanently phased out their split-screen automatically scrolling program guide listings years ago. Yet, the one interesting thing about this particular Pop computerized unit that they use at this Charter location is that the program guide configuration obviously no longer mentions "TV Guide Networks" in the copyright notice, instead, now mentions "Pop Networks" in the copyright message and even shows the Pop logo after every scrolling cycle like how it was back in the Prevue/TV Guide days.

It comes up at a really short glimpse at 0:32-0:33 at channel 16.
https://youtu.be/-4aA0C9kzU8?t=32s

And here's a screencap courtesy of TWCJim:
Image
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
WeatherSTARIII
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

Here's another clip of the scrolling Pop listings courtesy of ImBoredIIDeath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoEU03X0uVE
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
PajamaDarkness
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Will I ever tell you? No.

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by PajamaDarkness »

Cool! At least some of TV Guide Channel still exists.

Just wish DirecTV would carry these.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
kwest93
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 am

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by kwest93 »

PajamaDarkness wrote:Cool! At least some of TV Guide Channel still exists.

Just wish DirecTV would carry these.
They can't due to their "Genie" Interactive Guide. Therefore Full Screen pop is shown instead. and whats crazy is their even adding IMPACT WRESTLING to pop while a guide scrolls!!! another crazy awkward thing is they went from a Channel in HD to a channel that's ONLY in SD, are they SERIOUS?
tin
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by tin »

Coolness! I like that it survives :) Must be a few analogue-only places paying money for it to still exist.
PajamaDarkness
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Will I ever tell you? No.

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by PajamaDarkness »

kwest93 wrote:
PajamaDarkness wrote:Cool! At least some of TV Guide Channel still exists.

Just wish DirecTV would carry these.
They can't due to their "Genie" Interactive Guide. Therefore Full Screen pop is shown instead. and whats crazy is their even adding IMPACT WRESTLING to pop while a guide scrolls!!! another crazy awkward thing is they went from a Channel in HD to a channel that's ONLY in SD, are they SERIOUS?
You mean the interactive guide whenever you press a button? (basically one of the color buttons on a DirecTV remote) Or do you mean whenever you press the [GUIDE] button on your remote?
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
RiverNix123
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by RiverNix123 »

PajamaDarkness wrote:
kwest93 wrote:
PajamaDarkness wrote:Cool! At least some of TV Guide Channel still exists.

Just wish DirecTV would carry these.
They can't due to their "Genie" Interactive Guide. Therefore Full Screen pop is shown instead. and whats crazy is their even adding IMPACT WRESTLING to pop while a guide scrolls!!! another crazy awkward thing is they went from a Channel in HD to a channel that's ONLY in SD, are they SERIOUS?
You mean the interactive guide whenever you press a button? (basically one of the color buttons on a DirecTV remote) Or do you mean whenever you press the [GUIDE] button on your remote?
[GUIDE] is the button that he was talking about.
mightbemaybeme
Twitter: https://twitter.com/mightbemaybeme
Discord: mightbemaybeme#9939
RiverNix123
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by RiverNix123 »

WeatherSTARIII wrote:It's been nearly a year since when TV Guide Network became Pop, and the one unusual thing I've notice from a recent video I saw on YouTube (courtesy ImBoardIIDeath since I've also had always been into The Weather Channel thanks to most of his Local On the 8s videos), he pointed out that this Charter cable headend in Grand Coulee, WA (which also serves nearby Electric City and Elmer City), is analog only (and they hardly have any digital cable or even HD channels at all :shock:). But here's the even strange part, while they do carry Pop (you know, the network which hard to believe used to be EPG/Prevue/TV Guide Network over the years), Pop in Grand Coulee, WA still has the split-screen, automatically scrolling program guide grid listings like how it was since the Prevue Guide days. :o

I even thought that Pop (back when they were then TV Guide Network) permanently phased out their split-screen automatically scrolling program guide listings years ago. Yet, the one interesting thing about this particular Pop computerized unit that they use at this Charter location is that the program guide configuration obviously no longer mentions "TV Guide Networks" in the copyright notice, instead, now mentions "Pop Networks" in the copyright message and even shows the Pop logo after every scrolling cycle like how it was back in the Prevue/TV Guide days.

It comes up at a really short glimpse at 0:32-0:33 at channel 16.
https://youtu.be/-4aA0C9kzU8?t=32s

And here's a screencap courtesy of TWCJim:
Image
They do that for cable companys, that do not have a Interactive Guide for there service. If you go to a Sleep Inn in St. Augustine, Florida, and they have Xfinity, the Pop channel will have a guide. I think the one there still has TVGN Branding.
mightbemaybeme
Twitter: https://twitter.com/mightbemaybeme
Discord: mightbemaybeme#9939
PajamaDarkness
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Will I ever tell you? No.

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by PajamaDarkness »

RiverNix123 wrote: [GUIDE] is the button that he was talking about.
Knew it.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
PajamaDarkness
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Will I ever tell you? No.

Re: Since when did Pop still have scrolling listings?

Post by PajamaDarkness »

RiverNix123 wrote:If you go to a Sleep Inn in St. Augustine, Florida, and they have Xfinity, the Pop channel will have a guide. I think the one there still has TVGN Branding.
And indeed they do!
Image
Image
(though these pics aren't from there)

Credit to my friend, PrevueFanatic for taking the images.

EDIT: Fixed some of the wording.
Last edited by PajamaDarkness on Mon May 25, 2020 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
Post Reply