[Download] PC Prevue

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
AriX
Site Admin

[Download] PC Prevue

Post by AriX »

Excited to share the long-awaited copy of PC Prevue. This is PC Prevue version 2.4, dated 2/27/1997.

I pulled the software from a 3.5" floppy disk labeled "PrimeStar PC5 2.4". Here are the contents: http://prevueguide.com/PCPrevue/PrimeStarPC5-2.4.zip

A few notes to get started:
  • The disk includes an install.bat script that will install the software to c:\prevue. The script expects the disk to be in drive A:. You may need to modify the script to adjust the installation path.
  • The software is designed to be run at 640x480. It appears to be fairly compatible with a wide range of versions of Windows but I believe it originally ran on Windows 95.
  • When you first run the program, you may get an error about the BaseBand port. You'll likely need to modify C:\WINDOWS\PCEPGSYS.INI and adjust the BaseBand to reference a COM port that actually exists (I changed BaseBand's CommPort to 1, and Laser Disc's CommPort to 2.)
  • PC Prevue uses the same 2400 baud data format as Amiga Prevue, so you should be able to use the same tools to send data to it. However, you'll need to send data through a COM port rather than through TCP.
  • This version of PC Prevue does not support special characters. If you're using PrevueCLI, you can set "omitSpecialCharacters" to "true" in the ListingCommand in order to strip them.
Here are some shots of the software in action:
PrevueFolder.png
PrevueFolder.png (357.31 KiB) Viewed 7621 times
PrevueConsole.png
PrevueConsole.png (152.54 KiB) Viewed 7621 times
PCPrevue-NoData.png
PCPrevue-NoData.png (32.24 KiB) Viewed 7621 times
PCPrevue-Working.png
PCPrevue-Working.png (174.1 KiB) Viewed 7621 times
Lastly, here are a few pieces of documentation for the software that I was able to find:
PajamaDarkness

Re: [Download] PC Prevue

Post by PajamaDarkness »

Went ahead and installed this on my Compaq Presario 5000 and well? It works alright!
Also I find it easier to the Diagnostics program (or whatever the official name is called) on here than on the Amiga. It's more compact and actually provides logs for serial!
Last edited by PajamaDarkness on Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
datguy

Post by datguy »

Here's something I found in PCEPG.ini:
; The valid types of promotions are: NONE, PLAYLIST, PIE, LASER, MPEG, EXTERNAL

This version of Prevue can support MPEG and/or Laserdiscs for promos.

Here's what I assume each are:
-NONE: No promos.
-PLAYLIST: A pre-determined list of sorts [?, who knows]
-PIE: I dunno what this does.
-LASER: Laserdisc-based promos.
-MPEG: Promos that are a specific MPEG file.
-EXTERNAL: Genlock thing??

This .ini file is more likely to be positioning and promo settings.

Much like Hollywood, there could have been MPEG files distributed and/or placed by this cableco.
However, this is my own speculation on what many of these are. I never tried them. Maybe if one can offer an explaination of each one and what they do [i.e. PIE and/or PLAYLIST], that would be helpful. :]
datguy
hi
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

Pages 4 and 5 of promode.pdf (linked in the OP) explain those settings.
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
PajamaDarkness

Post by PajamaDarkness »

datguy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 pm -PIE: I dunno what this does.
PIE enables a CTRL-like display at the top. From what I've gathered it grabs random listings and displays them, probably in a similar way as to how these old PC Prevue examples from Prevue Interactive's website appear as?
prevuechannel1.jpg
prevuechannel1.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
prevuechannel2.jpg
prevuechannel2.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
PajamaDarkness

Post by PajamaDarkness »

By the way, if anybody is having trouble downloading and installing PC Prevue, I whipped up a tutorial for getting it working in DOSBox and listings data through PrevueCLI over here.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
CPLANAS1985

Post by CPLANAS1985 »

PajamaDarkness wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:02 am By the way, if anybody is having trouble downloading and installing PC Prevue, I whipped up a tutorial for getting it working in DOSBox and listings data through PrevueCLI over here.
I had trouble just trying to setup the program... How about a step-by-step YouTube tutorial!?!? I'm having NO luck whatsoever...
Carlos Planas, Jr.
Instagram: @CPLANAS1985
Facebook: @CPLANAS1985
YouTube: @CPLANAS1985
DeviantArt: @CPLANAS1985
Logopedia: @CPLANAS1985
PajamaDarkness

Post by PajamaDarkness »

CPLANAS1985 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am
PajamaDarkness wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:02 am By the way, if anybody is having trouble downloading and installing PC Prevue, I whipped up a tutorial for getting it working in DOSBox and listings data through PrevueCLI over here.
I had trouble just trying to setup the program... How about a step-by-step YouTube tutorial!?!? I'm having NO luck whatsoever...
"NO luck whatsoever", huh.

Could you be a bit more specific and include details, such as:
  • Which step are you stuck at?
  • Do you get an error message upon trying said step?
  • Are you sure you're entering whatever correctly?
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.
CPLANAS1985

Post by CPLANAS1985 »

PajamaDarkness wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:51 pm
CPLANAS1985 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am
"NO luck whatsoever", huh.

Could you be a bit more specific and include details, such as:
  • Which step are you stuck at?
  • Do you get an error message upon trying said step?
  • Are you sure you're entering whatever correctly?
Trying to create a virtual machine and installing the PrevueCLI software... I don't remember the rest of the details...
Carlos Planas, Jr.
Instagram: @CPLANAS1985
Facebook: @CPLANAS1985
YouTube: @CPLANAS1985
DeviantArt: @CPLANAS1985
Logopedia: @CPLANAS1985
PajamaDarkness

Post by PajamaDarkness »

CPLANAS1985 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:40 pm Trying to create a virtual machine and installing the PrevueCLI software... I don't remember the rest of the details...
If creating a virtual machine is too hard for you, I can upload an image of mine to make things easier. (will provide eventually)

Better yet, if you're willing to, you can install a virtual serial port (such as VSPE or com0com) and SerialToIP to make things easier and just install PC Prevue (using an installer I created with Inno) on your machine (I tested PC Prevue on x64 and can confirm it does work)

I'm willing to make a step-by-step tutorial for this eventually, however I'm currently busy at the moment so it will have to wait for a bit.
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.