Curday.dat Data Format

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
tin

Re: Curday.dat Data Format

Post by tin »

Well that solves one of the mysteries then! We were a bit unsure if the date wrapped around for the Amiga, as it definitely does for Atari, but the Amiga can cope with jdates of more than 256. I must admit I just assumed 1st April based on the jdate of 91, but didn't consider it could also stand for the later Dec 13th! Doh!
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

I also found the following between channels 63 (Cartoon Network) and 64 (ESPN2):
Fridays in December, ESPN will reveal the top 10 of
the "50 Greatest Athletes of all time on
SportsCenter. Check the listings for times.
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Well that solves one of the mysteries then! We were a bit unsure if the date wrapped around for the Amiga, as it definitely does for Atari, but the Amiga can cope with jdates of more than 256. I must admit I just assumed 1st April based on the jdate of 91, but didn't consider it could also stand for the later Dec 13th! Doh!
Whoops! I thought of this a few weeks ago and forgot to post it. Indeed, it is likely that this machine was pulled out on December 13th rather than April 1st.

Also, while the Amiga's curday.dat can cope with jdates of more than 255, the P and C commands cannot, meaning that these values never would have been found in curday.dat. Also it looks like nxtday gets a bit screwed up when using days > 255.

woddfellow2 wrote:I also found the following between channels 63 (Cartoon Network) and 64 (ESPN2):
Fridays in December, ESPN will reveal the top 10 of
the "50 Greatest Athletes of all time on
SportsCenter. Check the listings for times.
Well, that confirms it :D
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

nwgatwcfan wrote:I am wondering if the date of April 1st (since it was April Fools day) was put in there as a April Fools prank for future use.
It's very unlikely that anyone edited this file, as the disk I got this stuff off of has been sitting in a warehouse for years... But thanks for bringing this up!

SchalaAshtear wrote:IIRC, Glens Falls didn't get the gold grid until March 2000... maybe one of the last to switch? Albany got it several months before them...
Huh, interesting. I didn't know there were Amigas into the year 2000.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Hmm, I almost remember seeing the yellow grid around early December of 99' if I remember correctly. Anyone know when they first started to roll the NT systems out?

Also, I finally figured out how to unpack files (which I feel extremely stupid for not knowing how to do that in the first place :oops: ) And while unpacking, I found the image files PWI1-PWI5. Obviously they were used for the Prevue Weather segments every half-hour but there are only 5 icons which confuses me a bit. Were there possibly only 5 icons in the whole set, or could they have been downloaded as needed? I just don't get that part. :|
tin

Post by tin »

I think it's generally accepted that yellow came in around Dec 99, and all Amigas were gone by March 2000.

I wondered that about the weather too. I suspect the weather forecast was that general, that 5 icons is enough to roughly represent the forecast!
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Bolt96 wrote:Hmm, I almost remember seeing the yellow grid around early December of 99' if I remember correctly. Anyone know when they first started to roll the NT systems out?

Also, I finally figured out how to unpack files (which I feel extremely stupid for not knowing how to do that in the first place :oops: ) And while unpacking, I found the image files PWI1-PWI5. Obviously they were used for the Prevue Weather segments every half-hour but there are only 5 icons which confuses me a bit. Were there possibly only 5 icons in the whole set, or could they have been downloaded as needed? I just don't get that part. :|
Yeah, all they used was sun, rain, cloudy, partly cloudy, and snow. On the current weather screen, they also had a text string specifying the condition. The TV Guide Weather graphics are actually different from the Prevue Weather ones.
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

http://peargrid.com/tests/icons/ - Those are the icons
I think those are all the icons, since they are sufficient for a basic forecast / current condition segment
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

I got it to highlight and summarise CNN by changing 81 to 96 in its entry:

http://ompldr.org/vNm5kOA
http://ompldr.org/vNm5kOQ

I also got it to summarise Discovery Channel and Comedy Central by changing their bitflags to 04:
http://ompldr.org/vNm5kcA
http://ompldr.org/vNm5kcQ
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

What day is today in curday.dat? I tried using 0 and 1, but neither seemed to have worked.
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)