Prevue Online in 1996!

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
AriX
Site Admin

Prevue Online in 1996!

Post by AriX »

Found an interesting website today... Looks like in 1996, with the release of Internet Explorer 3.0, Microsoft bundled a sampling of web sites for people who didn't actually have access to the Internet... and one of them was Prevue.com! Someone recently uploaded it to their website. Check it out here: http://1996.haxalot.com/ULVSG/

In particular, try listening to the "Prevue Theme" and one of those Intervues.
joseph_sobora

Re: Prevue Online in 1996!

Post by joseph_sobora »

AriX wrote:Found an interesting website today... Looks like in 1996, with the release of Internet Explorer 3.0, Microsoft bundled a sampling of web sites for people who didn't actually have access to the Internet... and one of them was Prevue.com! Someone recently uploaded it to their website. Check it out here: http://1996.haxalot.com/ULVSG/

In particular, try listening to the "Prevue Theme" and one of those Intervues.
That, was very interesting! I remember going to "Prevue Online" when it was active back in 1997. Even though I didn't get a computer nor internet access back then, we use to go to the library and sign up on the computer to surf the web. I even got to watch some of the videos on Intervue with Jim Ferguson, even though the streaming video was pretty bad (That's how streaming video was back then) Unfortunately, you have to download Real Player in order to listen to the one of the Interviews and theme.

Also, I remember Prevue Online did have a live video streaming of the Prevue Channel using Windows Media Player.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

joseph_sobora wrote:Also, I remember Prevue Online did have a live video streaming of the Prevue Channel using Windows Media Player.
Yeah, I saw hints of that on the Internet archive... it wasn't up, of course. I am extremely curious what that would look like and what exactly was streaming - did they stream the raw C-band feed?
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

AriX wrote:
joseph_sobora wrote:Also, I remember Prevue Online did have a live video streaming of the Prevue Channel using Windows Media Player.
Yeah, I saw hints of that on the Internet archive... it wasn't up, of course. I am extremely curious what that would look like and what exactly was streaming - did they stream the raw C-band feed?
I wasn't sure, but I have the feeling that this might have been shown directly from the Prevue Headquarters in Tulsa, OK with their listings.
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

I noticed that prevue.com and prevuenet.com's WHOIS information, even today, mentions a "TV Guide, Inc." and nameservers of "NS1.ROVICORP.COM", "NS2.ROVICORP.COM", and "NS3.ROVICORP.COM".
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

woddfellow2 wrote:I noticed that prevue.com and prevuenet.com's WHOIS information, even today, mentions a "TV Guide, Inc." and nameservers of "NS1.ROVICORP.COM", "NS2.ROVICORP.COM", and "NS3.ROVICORP.COM".
Yes, Rovi (formerly Macrovision, the company that bought Gemstar-TV Guide, which bought TV Guide, Inc., which was formed when United Video/Prevue Networks bought TV Guide from News Corp.) still owns those domains, but has not done anything with them in several years. Funny that the administrative contact seemingly hasn't been updated since 2001.
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

This is the earliest snapshot of Prevue.com from the Wayback Machine (archive.org). They have many from years later as well...

Taken on December 28, 1996

http://web.archive.org/web/199612280404 ... revue.com/

(You may need to give it about 5 seconds to load... as the Wayback Machine's loading screen comes up first)
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

20CenturyFan wrote:This is the earliest snapshot of Prevue.com from the Wayback Machine (archive.org). They have many from years later as well...

Taken on December 28, 1996

http://web.archive.org/web/199612280404 ... revue.com/

(You may need to give it about 5 seconds to load... as the Wayback Machine's loading screen comes up first)
I'm glad they still have some of the old features of "Prevue Online", even though they do have some errors on them since they're not active like they were 16 years ago.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

This isn't up anymore, but if anyone is looking for it, check it out here: http://prevueguide.com/ULVSG/Index.html