Alternate CC logo

Talk about anything here.
20CenturyFan

Alternate CC logo

Post by 20CenturyFan »

I noticed from looking at some of the youtube videos of Prevue that somewhere between June 16, 1994 and August 26, 1995, the closed caption logo changed from the vector logo to the "CC" logo that we have on our ADF.

(Last appearence of vector CC logo, 6-16-94)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwS0ahBbf4U

First appearence of current CC logo (8-26-95)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOytFMDt0no

Just out of curiosity, would there be any way to edit the font on our ADF to show the old vector closed caption logo?

On a side note, I noticed that the old vector CC logo has a registered trademark on it. Perhaps they needed permission to use that logo and when it expired they had to change it.
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Re: Alternate CC logo

Post by JFR_SneakPrevue98 »

I noticed that too. It is odd it changed from the "CC" logo to text based. I also noticed that in the 90s at the start of a show it was the "CC" logo then it changed to the text based type logo.
Jed "Sneak Prevue Fan" Raybould
You're Watching Sneak Prevue.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

20CenturyFan wrote:I noticed from looking at some of the youtube videos of Prevue that somewhere between June 16, 1994 and August 26, 1995, the closed caption logo changed from the vector logo to the "CC" logo that we have on our ADF.

Just out of curiosity, would there be any way to edit the font on our ADF to show the old vector closed caption logo?

On a side note, I noticed that the old vector CC logo has a registered trademark on it. Perhaps they needed permission to use that logo and when it expired they had to change it.
I don't understand what you mean by "vector CC logo"... The logo that we have in our font is itself a vector, since it can be rendered at any size. If I had to guess, I would say that they probably changed it because too few people understood what the original logo meant; the change does correspond nicely with the date at the beginning of the PrevueC font, which says copyright 1995.
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

lol. Sorry about the confusion. On a website I searched the logos, they referred to the older logo, the one with the square shaped speech box, as the "vector" logo. Interesting to know that they're BOTH vector. :lol:

I may try a side experiment to re-draw the old logo over the "CC" one, if I can find a way to edit an Amiga font. I have yet to search for one. I know that it was used by Prevue Guide's blue grid era, at least.

EDIT: I can't seem to find anything that is free that will even open the Amiga PrevueC raster font. There is probably a way to do it, but its out of my league.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

20CenturyFan wrote:lol. Sorry about the confusion. On a website I searched the logos, they referred to the older logo, the one with the square shaped speech box, as the "vector" logo. Interesting to know that they're BOTH vector. :lol:

I may try a side experiment to re-draw the old logo over the "CC" one, if I can find a way to edit an Amiga font. I have yet to search for one. I know that it was used by Prevue Guide's blue grid era, at least.

EDIT: I can't seem to find anything that is free that will even open the Amiga PrevueC raster font. There is probably a way to do it, but its out of my league.
I don't know of a program that can do this, unfortunately, though I bet it would be easier to use the TTF version of the font that Rudy posted a while ago instead of the Amiga-format version.

I don't think that PrevueC is a raster font though. I believe it is a vector font :P
(At least, the TTF version is vector.)
JFR_SneakPrevue98

20thCenturyFan,

Is the "CC" logo that you'd like to use like the one from this webpage: http://www.seeklogo.com/closed-caption-logo-31538.html?
tin

Post by tin »

Bonjour!

For editing Amiga font, try typesmith mentioned here (you'll need to set up a decent Amiga emulation environment to not make this a pain in the ass) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18&p=50&hilit=typesmith#p50 although AriX did say he could not open the original font with it.

Fontforge also opens it http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ I remember trying to convert the bitmap to vector myself with this but it's clear it would be a lot of work, that Rudy had already done!

The original amiga font is definitely bitmap in the old amiga .font format - of course the converted ttf is vector ;)
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:20thCenturyFan,

Is the "CC" logo that you'd like to use like the one from this webpage: http://www.seeklogo.com/closed-caption-logo-31538.html?
Yes, that's the one. The "tail" was facing the opposite direction on the one used in Prevue Guide, though.

I am sure I can find a way to convert it to TTF, but if there were a way to convert a TTF back to the Amiga .FONT, I would do it that way. My goal is to see if I can get my emulation to boot with the alternate CC logo.

I knew that TTF was vector, but I figured that bitmap and raster were one in the same. I was referring to the original Amiga font :lol:

I know that Typesmith costs, so that is out of the question. But I think I am going to give fontforge a try!
JFR_SneakPrevue98

20CenturyFan wrote:
JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:20thCenturyFan,

Yes, that's the one. The "tail" was facing the opposite direction on the one used in Prevue Guide, though.

I am sure I can find a way to convert it to TTF, but if there were a way to convert a TTF back to the Amiga .FONT, I would do it that way. My goal is to see if I can get my emulation to boot with the alternate CC logo.

I knew that TTF was vector, but I figured that bitmap and raster were one in the same. I was referring to the original Amiga font :lol:

I know that Typesmith costs, so that is out of the question. But I think I am going to give fontforge a try!
I was on the Wikipedia page for Closed Captioning and under either History or Logo there were 2 versions of the one I provided the link to. One with the "tail" facing left and another one facing right. Did Prevue use a white square or rectangle for the MPAA ratings on movies?
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

Prevue used one like the one you posted... but the tail facing the opposite side. So its actually the mirror image of the one you posted. If it has to do with the side the point is on, I would say it is of the "tail on the left" variety.

On a side note, I got fontforge up but it does not appear to accept the format of the Amiga font. Dead end there. This is something I will probably attempt at another time. It was a neat idea, to say the least!