tv guide channel canada

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
JoeTheDragon

tv guide channel canada

Post by JoeTheDragon »

tv guide channel Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqs01d9sJ_k

it seems like the old tv guide / Prevue with out the TV guide crap.

Seeing how Canada used the old full screen Prevue channel in the 80's / 90's this is likely what tv guide channel us would of looked like if all the tv guide stuff did not come to the us.
tin

Re: tv guide channel canada

Post by tin »

wonder if it's still like that?

Following on from your link - I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLIoI0vGEI not seen that before!
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

JoeTheDragon wrote:tv guide channel Canada

Seeing how Canada used the old full screen Prevue channel in the 80's / 90's this is likely what tv guide channel us would of looked like if all the tv guide stuff did not come to the us.
That's not really the "TV Guide Channel Canada". Canadian cable providers have access to the regular TV Guide Network, and many use it. The guide depicted in this video is either an in-house guide or a commercial product, and the TV Guide logo is likely there either because the company sources their listings from someone like Rovi, who owns part of the TV Guide trademark, or, probably even more likely, whoever hacked together the guide just thought it would be appropriate to put it there for some reason. I'm pretty sure this channel has little if anything to do with the direct successor to the Prevue Guide that we discuss on these forums. It does look pretty nice though.

The version of the TV Guide Channel that can be seen in Latin America more closely represents what the TV Guide Channel would currently look like in the U.S. if they hadn't moved away from a cable guide format.
tin wrote:wonder if it's still like that?

Following on from your link - I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLIoI0vGEI not seen that before!
I've seen that a bunch of times before, and I find it really interesting and cool (although I don't love the implementation of the guide itself). Over-the-air broadcasting is the one place where I think a Prevue Channel-type format would really work, because many people still get their TV OTA and have no program guide or a really crappy one that they don't know how to use. You can see the APG's official site here. (Obviously the APG also does not have any direct connection to the current TV Guide Channel and undoubtedly runs on completely different software.)
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

AriX wrote:I've seen that a bunch of times before, and I find it really interesting and cool (although I don't love the implementation of the guide itself). Over-the-air broadcasting is the one place where I think a Prevue Channel-type format would really work, because many people still get their TV OTA and have no program guide or a really crappy one that they don't know how to use. You can see the APG's official site here. (Obviously the APG also does not have any direct connection to the current TV Guide Channel and undoubtedly runs on completely different software.)
Which is what I'd like to see myself. I'd like to see something like the Prevue Guide with my local broadcast listings xD and it might actually become possible. :)
tin

Post by tin »

I'm really REALLY intrigued by the WANN32 APG thing. It's obviously very new (relative to prevue guide) and obviously based massively on blue-grid prevue guide. However as you say the implementation is (a) obviously different and (b) not nice. I love on their demo on the website how the two scrolls pause while the adverts around the video update!! Amiga 20 years ago didn't do that!! :)

I'm also kind of intrigued about their digital system and the need for a guide. Our digital terrestrial system is nationwide and has a fully functioning EPG, so my Freevue guide demo would be pretty useless really. We have the BBC to thank for that :)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

usotsuki wrote:
AriX wrote:I've seen that a bunch of times before, and I find it really interesting and cool (although I don't love the implementation of the guide itself). Over-the-air broadcasting is the one place where I think a Prevue Channel-type format would really work, because many people still get their TV OTA and have no program guide or a really crappy one that they don't know how to use. You can see the APG's official site here. (Obviously the APG also does not have any direct connection to the current TV Guide Channel and undoubtedly runs on completely different software.)
Which is what I'd like to see myself. I'd like to see something like the Prevue Guide with my local broadcast listings xD and it might actually become possible. :)
To be completely honest, in the back of my mind for several months now (ever since I saw that APG video, really) I've been thinking of possibly approaching one of my local broadcast stations and offering them something like this for a subchannel... I've spent a LOT of time on emulating the Prevue Guide, between the simulator, research, and reverse engineering/development, and it'd be cool to put it to use for something relevant. It's part of the reason why I'm currently working so hard to build a really robust Prevue data server.
tin wrote:I love on their demo on the website how the two scrolls pause while the adverts around the video update!! Amiga 20 years ago didn't do that!! :)
Huh, I didn't notice that. When does that happen exactly?
tin

Post by tin »

Every 30s or so, when the two ads left and right fade to another slide. The pause is most noticeable on the bottom scroll.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Every 30s or so, when the two ads left and right fade to another slide. The pause is most noticeable on the bottom scroll.
lol, I see it now, thanks. Even the time freezes :roll: :lol:
JoeTheDragon

Post by JoeTheDragon »

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

EPG here, it works on some tuners and not on others. My RCA tuners don't support it. My old GE one did, but it got zapped.