Prevue guide music

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
tin

Re: Prevue guide music

Post by tin »

yeah, the light that I saw was the Sneak Prevue light :)
kcowolf

Post by kcowolf »

swest77 wrote:@Ari - Since you seem to be the expert in this department, you should edit the Wikipedia entry for TV Guide Channel and create a section listing the musical elements previously used by Prevue Guide/Channel. I.e., mention that the original theme is an unidentified James & Aster library piece, that "Opening Act" was the blue grid's theme, etc. Maybe someone will come along, notice the gap re: the first one's identity, and fill it in!
If you look on the talk page for the Wikipedia article, you'll see I have the names of the 1994 songs listed (and someone was kind enough to add "Opening Act" after its name was discovered), but I was never sure if or how they should be incorporated into the article.

It's really neat seeing the stuff you guys are digging up. I spent a lot of time as a kid watching the blue grid Prevue Guide, so it's neat seeing it gain new life like this. Looking forward to trying it out in WinUAE myself.
swest77

Post by swest77 »

kcowolf wrote:
swest77 wrote:@Ari - Since you seem to be the expert in this department, you should edit the Wikipedia entry for TV Guide Channel and create a section listing the musical elements previously used by Prevue Guide/Channel. I.e., mention that the original theme is an unidentified James & Aster library piece, that "Opening Act" was the blue grid's theme, etc. Maybe someone will come along, notice the gap re: the first one's identity, and fill it in!
If you look on the talk page for the Wikipedia article, you'll see I have the names of the 1994 songs listed (and someone was kind enough to add "Opening Act" after its name was discovered), but I was never sure if or how they should be incorporated into the article.
Guess the best thing to do would be assembling a list, here on the forum, of all the known theme music. Once we've got that master list in front of our faces, we'll be able to look at it and figure out a format to present it in on Wikipedia. :)
swest77

Post by swest77 »

For anyone who wants it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C0RO8B1G
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8RFJIMBU

First link is the exact, processed audio version of the Prevue Guide theme used in the "saddest prevue ever" video. Second one is exactly the same as the first, but just with less EQ around 5 kHz (incase your ears, like mine, consider the first one too "harsh" sounding on anything but a cheap pair of laptop speakers).

The real problem with this audio is it's linear VHS audio. That kind of recording technology tended to emphasize highs to compensate for roll-off while also saturating the tape (magnetic recording's version of "clipping"). When you try to EQ something like that back to life, you find the mid-highs and highs are too dense and squished (high RMS power) ... too much EQ makes it sound harsh, too little makes it sound dull, very hard to find a happy medium. Anyway, it is what it is...
SchalaAshtear

Post by SchalaAshtear »

Any one else ever have a local FM radio station as fallback in case the Prevue satellite music feed failed? I remember that happening on occasion when the Prevue audio feed would die and a local FM station would take its place temporarily on the Prevue Guide in Glens Falls, NY...
~Schala Ashtear