New youtube videos

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
tin

Re: New youtube videos

Post by tin »

Not massively interesting but the 2nd half of this view had been deleted off youtube ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8eWD7NEvc
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

New Prevue Guide/Channel Video, which also has the Guru Meditation, both from 1992 & 1993:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9Vado0S7M
tin

Post by tin »

spotted this, I think the first part is from 1990.
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

Sorry to bump, but I've found a newly unearthed Electronic Program Guide video from June 7, 1988.

https://youtu.be/qfE7it6FPMU

This video originally came from YouTuber Mark Davis (who also previously uploaded previous classic EPG/Prevue Guide-related videos before). He mentioned that he recently found yet another VHS tape in his own collection with Electronic Program Guide from Naperville, IL on 6/7/88. This video is 1 hour long and takes place overnight.

What's even unusual about this EPG clip is that sometimes, a full screen graphical ad would appear once in a while, including the infamous Sports Illustrated Football Phone. Unfortunately, this footage was recorded in EP mode (rather than SP). The audio also came from the "Jones Intercable Galactic Radio" which was a free FM service that could be obtained over the coax to your FM tuner (there was also an audio advertisement for this within this segment). Apparently, they patched the Jazz channel audio over this program guide.

Yet, this may also possibly be shortly before when Prevue Guide launched (even though some areas continued to use the older EPG Senior software as late as the mid-1990s or so).
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
tin

Post by tin »

A bump is good in this topic. Good to see this video!
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

tin wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:45 am A bump is good in this topic. Good to see this video!
Thanks. I already followed his YouTube channel a while ago since I had interests in his previous video uploads and I spotted this classic EPG gem.
WeatherSTAR III:
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

tin wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:51 am Not massively interesting but the 2nd half of this view had been deleted off youtube ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8eWD7NEvc
The one thing that I noticed in the last video clip (the one that was taken from March 15, 1993 from a New Jersey-based Comcast system), is that while the older style black colored Prevue list Amiga software was still being used for the local listings and covering up the national C-Band satellite listings, if you look closely on the far right of the screen next to the locally inserted Prevue list display (yes I know the video quality isn't as good), you can sort of see a very narrowly visible, but yet early glimpse of the overhauled navy blue Prevue grid being used for the national C-Band satellite listings behind the older style locally inserted Prevue list. Notice how the C-Band grid (look closely to the far right of the screen) automatically stops after every three channels like what they did later on with the localized Prevue grid software and also look very closely to the top part (where the time slot listings would of normally been displayed in that spot), the C-Band grid even slides up whenever it reaches through every scrolling cycle just like what they did with the localized Prevue grid software update later on.

Of course, you can also definitely tell that whenever Comcast interrupts the national Prevue Guide feed to automatically cue and show their own locally inserted custom Comcast "Video Store" PPV promos, obviously the Prevue C-Band grid goes away (except of course for the already continuously overlapping Prevue list display, which as you can tell even bounces up on top of the screen for a few seconds before going back down to the bottom of the screen once when Comcast switches to their locally inserted custom feed. Once after when Comcast switches back to the national Prevue Guide feed (usually used mostly for national commercials, station IDs and promos, and some the regular national cable network promos as opposed to the locally inserted Comcast "Video Store" PPV promos feed, the national C-Band grid comes back.

So I wonder if this was likely around the time when Prevue Networks began beta testing the completely overhauled Prevue grid software before they began using to locally for the first time? The earliest known video that officially began using the overhauled Prevue grid for the local listings for the first time, was dated from April 7, 1993 (originally taken from Lake Forest, IL), of course, I had already stumbled across this other previously re-uploaded YouTube video a while ago. I've always wanted to see early alpha/beta screen shots of the EPG/Prevue/TV Guide software.
WeatherSTAR III:
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

I do remember in our area, the new grid came sometime in late January 1993. Unfortunately, I was a youngster then and didn't think about taping it. But I do remember in a February cable update TV show, they were showing the Prevue Guide with the new grid on a TV set sitting on the desk as they were talking about new channels that were coming with an upgrade. I remember at that time, we didn't even have Showtime or the Movie Channel and you had to go to the cable company's office for a special converter just to get a pay-per-view event. (We didn't get an addressable system until around March of 1994.) Our Prevue Guide at the time displayed 50 channels and we didn't have the copyright notice at the end of the listings cycle until the end of 1993, even with the grid display.

Sadly, in our area, the Prevue Guide/Channel promos and featurettes that used the entire top half of the screen never worked until late 1997. It was always filled with the graphical information or fixed ads (which came from logo.lst.) In fact, the first e-mail that I had ever sent was to Prevue's contact e-mail address to fix this very issue. It took about a week after I sent the e-mail, that a software update was pushed through and the top half started working like normal.

Anyway, enough rambling for one night.
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

New 43 minute video of Prevue from TCI, located in the hometown where its headquarters are, Tulsa, OK! Recorded on September 21, 1996:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2cJ85cwU8