TV Guide Channel Emulation Working!

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
tin

Re: TV Guide Channel Emulation Working!

Post by tin »

all your base still makes me laugh after all these years...
swest77

Post by swest77 »

tin wrote:all your base still makes me laugh after all these years...
lol... if only Captain Midnight had known PG's satellite data feed format. ;)
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Haw, Captain Midnight...better him than the guy that hacked WGN and showed his ass Headroom-style ;)

Just a status update - I'm in the process of getting my A2000 set up to run this thing. It's plugged up and working, so all I need to do is burn the following to a CD:

2.x ROM
Prevue ADF
anything else I might figure out I need, such as a softkicking tool

Then I'll be the first ever person outside of licensed users to run Prevue on a real Amiga :)

Yup, that's right, I have a CD-ROM drive connected to my A2000. :)
tin

Post by tin »

How come you're running it from cd and not just using a disk?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

LocalH wrote:Then I'll be the first ever person outside of licensed users to run Prevue on a real Amiga :)
lol, not quite, I have seen af ew posts on Usenet and such of people running it in the 90s and early 2000s when they were easier to get your hands on. Plus the guy I got the ADF from has done it.

But you'll be the first one on this forum I guess ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with.
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

tin wrote:How come you're running it from cd and not just using a disk?
I will be running it from disk, just using a CD to get everything from this laptop to the Amiga (rather than worrying about borrowing a USB floppy drive).
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Well, this is odd. Neither PD nor ESQ will load. I get a message stating "c:PD failed returncode 14" and when it tries to load ESQ, the pointer does it's color thing, then it just dumps to a CLI prompt.
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

AriX wrote:[...]

By the way, anyone have any insight into what exactly TV Guide Around Town and Prevue Around Town were, and how they played unique ones in different locations?
I remember seeing TV Guide Around Town circa 2000–2001.
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Apparently I wrote the disk image onto a bad disk and it caused the problems I was having. Got it written onto a good disk and IT BOOTS!!!!!!

Gonna have to build a custom startup-sequence for this, tailored to my system, to check for 3.1 ROM, and if present softkick 2.04 ROM.

It seems to work on my 3.1 ROM, sorta. It doesn't switch into interlace mode and it causes my genlock to output a signal that is constantly drifting to the left (but otherwise "stable", no skewing across scanlines), and the palette on the upper half of the screen is messed when it loads images. Still seems to work better on a real A2000 than emulation when it comes to 3.1.

Got two good disks here now, one write-protected as my physical "master", and the other one for day to day mucking around.