New youtube videos

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
woddfellow2

Re: New youtube videos

Post by woddfellow2 »

—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

Nice discovery! This may possibly be the oldest (known) video recording of the old EPG channel. :D Hard to believe that it's now Pop. I was also curious about the computer system that this cable system was using at the time. It's a lot different from the EPG Senior program from the Amiga-based version. In fact, this video even pre-dated the Amiga 1000's debut. It also seems to be different from the 1986 Warner Cable-era EPG video from Houston, TX since it's got a completely different system font. Yet, the one in this video still looks very similar to the EPG Senior's layout as well as the one from the 1986 Warner Cable EPG clip. One last thing to point out in this video was that it appeared to have an ad crawl at the bottom of the screen, but the cable system seemed to leave it blink. This would of not of been shown if the ad crawl wasn't enabled (as seen in the EPG Senior-based version).
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
tin

Post by tin »

Interesting video!

Something makes me think this is an earlier verison of the Atari code, with a redefined font maybe? I just can't come up with a hardware platform that could do this back in '83. Love the way the clock slides into the title bar still even in '83.
tin

Post by tin »

Anybody any ideas? Looked everywhere ;)
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

I found a rare 4-minute clip of Prevue Channel from Friday, July 4, 1997, from a private torrent site. Uploaded to Mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/?puwp25zm498u46a
tin

Post by tin »

Who's uploading this kind of thing to private torrent sites!? that's hardcore geekery :)
kwest93

Post by kwest93 »

joseph_sobora wrote:I found a rare 4-minute clip of Prevue Channel from Friday, July 4, 1997, from a private torrent site. Uploaded to Mediafire.
That's my Birthday! also that was recorded right when i lived there in Detroit. also there's music i may add to the soundtrack collection by Killer tracks and Music House/EMI/Firstcom.
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

tin wrote:Who's uploading this kind of thing to private torrent sites!? that's hardcore geekery :)
I know, I've been searching around on those websites until one user mention there was some Prevue footage on their VHS recording. So, I had to download it to see if it's there. Wish it was more than 4 minutes!
kwest93 wrote:That's my Birthday! also that was recorded right when i lived there in Detroit. also there's music i may add to the soundtrack collection by Killer tracks and Music House/EMI/Firstcom.
Yep, on the same day, during the fourth of July weekend was when we celebrated my brother's birthday and went to see "Men in Black" and "Hercules" (Disney's Version) in theatres. Such a shame I didn't get cable again until later in November. I would have seen this footage of Prevue, with a promo of "Prevue Online" with their web address as mention on the grid.
Matthew Joseph

Post by Matthew Joseph »

I downloaded the video in MediaFire and saw some tidbits from the video.

One thing I find out is that almost of all the promos from other cable networks aired on this video except for the Prevue ad had a bug on the top-half video when showing text for local cable viewers. The channel number was replaced with the six-letter channel name that was never supposed to be showed to viewers (for example: "Channel CNBC", instead of "Channel 37") and only showed on the top of the text when full channel name is that name or currently unavailable. Also, the channel number is located at the top instead of the channel name.

Second, the channel number can be fitted to six numbers for mixed channel numbers (depends of course in the cable system) as seen in the video (ex: 11/B22 is Discovery Channel), which did not use in the satellite grid.

And another one, Nationwide is on your side. (1:12 to 1:27 mark).

Lastly, it is odd that the Prevue ad did had two slides. I thought that was only for promos appearing on PPV with text containing PPV info after the description of the movie and before the (CC), (Stereo) and the length marks (ex: To order this PPV, call..., or To order this PPV, press "BUY"... or something like that), which did not appear in this video.

(The video is recorded in the Detroit metropolitan area, as the local text advertisements were based on parts of the metropolitan, FYI)
I'm a guy who loves Prevue/TVGC and other stuff like Power Rangers etc.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

joseph_sobora wrote:I found a rare 4-minute clip of Prevue Channel from Friday, July 4, 1997, from a private torrent site. Uploaded to Mediafire.
Wow, awesome! Thanks for posting.
tin wrote:Interesting video!

Something makes me think this is an earlier verison of the Atari code, with a redefined font maybe? I just can't come up with a hardware platform that could do this back in '83. Love the way the clock slides into the title bar still even in '83.
One of the original guys told me a few years ago that before the Atari/Amiga versions, they used Texscan character generators.