Prevue-style sports wire channel?

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
mediabrat

Prevue-style sports wire channel?

Post by mediabrat »

Does anyone remember a cable channel that functioned as a running sports wire/ticker, presented in the style of the original Prevue Guide? I don't recall it if even had a name. It had the same font and black background, and it even had the same colored multi-line squares as bookends to the header text. The only difference was that instead of scrolling like the TV listings did, each item would be drawn on its own page. When games were being played (e.g. nighttime, weekends), the content consisted of scoring updates, league scoreboards, pitching changes, injury updates, etc. Off-hours content would be last night's scoreboard (including box scores, IIRC), league standings, and that day's schedule. (There might have been gambling lines as well.) And it wasn't just the four major leagues, either. You would get practically every North American minor league, and I think there was also golf and tennis, and maybe NASCAR. In other words, it was pretty much anything that would come down the wire in the sports department at your average American newspaper.

The only thing I could find that was even close to this, even after extensive searching, was the Sports Plus Network, which would run on SportsChannel during off-hours. However, I'm fairly certain this is not what I'm looking for. To be honest, it's a bit too advanced; SPN had graphics and colored backgrounds, and what I'm thinking of looked exactly like the old Prevue Guide. Also, this had its own dedicated channel space (or at least it did on my cable system), and Sports Plus Network was used as filler on SportsChannel.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about, or am I on my own here?
kwest93

Re: Prevue-style sports wire channel?

Post by kwest93 »

mediabrat wrote:Does anyone remember a cable channel that functioned as a running sports wire/ticker, presented in the style of the original Prevue Guide? I don't recall it if even had a name. It had the same font and black background, and it even had the same colored multi-line squares as bookends to the header text. The only difference was that instead of scrolling like the TV listings did, each item would be drawn on its own page. When games were being played (e.g. nighttime, weekends), the content consisted of scoring updates, league scoreboards, pitching changes, injury updates, etc. Off-hours content would be last night's scoreboard (including box scores, IIRC), league standings, and that day's schedule. (There might have been gambling lines as well.) And it wasn't just the four major leagues, either. You would get practically every North American minor league, and I think there was also golf and tennis, and maybe NASCAR. In other words, it was pretty much anything that would come down the wire in the sports department at your average American newspaper.

The only thing I could find that was even close to this, even after extensive searching, was the Sports Plus Network, which would run on SportsChannel during off-hours. However, I'm fairly certain this is not what I'm looking for. To be honest, it's a bit too advanced; SPN had graphics and colored backgrounds, and what I'm thinking of looked exactly like the old Prevue Guide. Also, this had its own dedicated channel space (or at least it did on my cable system), and Sports Plus Network was used as filler on SportsChannel.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about, or am I on my own here?
your not on your own. i believe FOX Sports 1 or some other station does that now.