Prevue Weather Icons for 7.8.3 (including PWBRUSH)

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
djrsaunders

Prevue Weather Icons for 7.8.3 (including PWBRUSH)

Post by djrsaunders »

Earlier this month, I found out that the weather icons that came bundled with the build of PC Prevue that we have (the February 27, 1997 build) were strikingly similar to those found in the Amiga software before they were changed in 1999 with version 9 of ESQ (the latest build of the software that we have is 9.0.4, released sometime in December 1999, right as providers began to make the switch to the Windows-based Hollywood software). In fact, barring the color changes, the icons found in PC Prevue are actually identical to the icons seen in the Amiga software.

Therefore, I took the liberty of converting all of those icons to Amiga-suitable icons. I also decided to remake the Prevue Weather banner from 1993 after the software was massively overhauled to introduce what "The New Prevue Guide" manual called the "scrid," a portmanteau of "scrolling grid." It only lasted for a short period of time. As far as remaking it, the source footage that I used was very low-quality, but it was still just enough for me to make out what it was supposed to convey (I included the Tulsa skyline in it, since UVSG was based in Tulsa, but I'm not too sure if that appeared in the actual banner). The Prevue Weather logo is actually from PajamaFrix's own attempt at recreating the initial banner, so I have to credit Frix for that. The banner's size is 640x60, which is the optimal size for PWBRUSH, but it wasn't actually the original size. In fact, the height was bigger initially when the Prevue Weather add-on was introduced under the name of "Weather Guide" upon the launch of Prevue Guide in 1988 (it changed to "Prevue Weather" sometime around Fall 1989).

It took me four changes since then to fix any errors or anything that I didn't really like (including Color #0, which sets the background color for which the genlock is supposed to key out; I realized that when I edited the colors to how they should be properly displayed in Grafx2), but now I'm sharing it here. The icons are based on how they appeared in 1996 (the clouds were black before then; since then, they've been colored white), and something that is worth noting: the fifth icon that I included (the snow icon) is custom-made, and there was no snow icon (I think it's referred to as "pwi5") until the software was updated for the February 1998 rebrand of Prevue Channel. The rain icon actually represented all forms of precipitation throughout that time.

They're there if you want to do any experimenting with Prevue Weather in 7.8.3.
PWBRUSH1993.png
PWBRUSH1993.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Attachments
PWI_ICONS_UPD4_incl_PWBRUSH.zip
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 4 times