Alternate CC logo

Talk about anything here.
tin

Re: Alternate CC logo

Post by tin »

Interesting! I definitely got fontforge to open the amiga font, it was just what to do with it afterwards where I got stuck! If you check out the link I posted there is a coverdisk version of typesmith.

Btw sorry I thought questions were being asked about the font formats, I guess I misread. I would say like you that raster and bitmap are the same thing, but possibly there is a difference I don't know about.
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

The original symbol (which is the TV with the tail at the end) is a registered trademark of the National Captioning Institute. Prevue must have gotten permission at first to use the logo or they used it without the consent of the NCI and was forced to come up with another logo. So you'll notice that the new Prevue CC does not appear to be in a TV screen. They may be using the symbol as a shortcut from 2 chars to 1 char when transmitting the listings.

Thanks,
Steven
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

nwgatwcfan wrote:They may be using the symbol as a shortcut from 2 chars to 1 char when transmitting the listings.
Highly highly doubt that. They're using it because it looks better to use the logo (either one) instead of the text "CC" or "(CC)". One character is not a significant time difference; if they were looking to save space they could have done so in many other ways.
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

In the days where technology did not permit the use of symbols (A2-Black, EPG), multiple-character "symbols" were created out of just ordinary letters, such as (CC) or (PG-13), just enclosing the needed letters in parentheses. Since the blue grid, things like that have been a single character.