Curday.dat Data Format

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
woddfellow2

Re: Curday.dat Data Format

Post by woddfellow2 »

I copied everything in the ADF to the virtual hard disk.

TOTPD!
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
tin

Post by tin »

woddfellow2 wrote:I copied everything in the ADF to the virtual hard disk.

TOTPD!
I've just checked it out and can only suggest something got corrupted on the way over, sorry.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

TOTPD!
Are you booting from the virtual disk or the ADF?
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

I'm not sure how i would get the hex, since when I try to copy any text using a hex editor nothing gets copied, so I have been using notepad for this.
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)
tin

Post by tin »

hen7713 wrote:I'm not sure how i would get the hex, since when I try to copy any text using a hex editor nothing gets copied, so I have been using notepad for this.
that's probably where it's going wrong! you need to be able to edit in hex to be able to change stuff like that. I use xvi32 on windows, but also used the perl scripts mentioned elsewhere to automatically generate hex from binary values.
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

That seemed to have fixed it, however if i wanted to move / add channels, how would I go about that?
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

AriX wrote:

TOTPD!
I left the floppy disk drives empty.
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

woddfellow2 wrote:
AriX wrote:

TOTPD!
I left the floppy disk drives empty.
That's what I suspected - you're trying to boot from the virtual disk. You need to have both the floppy AND the disk, because the disk is not properly set up to be bootable.
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

Hi there, I happen to notice something about the listings that were downloaded originally to the Prevue file. According to the Wiki, the listings are showing the date of April 1, 1999. I believe that the person who distributed the file edited the curday.dat file (either intentionally or by accident) before you received it and actually the listings are from the date of December 13th, 1999. I did some investigation and I noticed that in the listings themselves, there are a lot of Christmas shows. It's very unusual for Christmas shows to appear in April, especially the movie "A Christmas Story". I know that TBS usually only shows that movie in December. Also, I took the sports programming that was listed in the guide and did an internet search of the games that were going on that night. It turns out that the same date took place for the Gonzaga game and the NBA Basketball game that were on Fox Sports West and Fox Sports West 2. That date was December 13th, 1999. So, in an earlier post, there was speculation that the date of April 1, 1999 was too soon for the guide to be replaced. It probably was too soon. Most everyone's TV Guide Channel didn't fully upgrade until January or February in 2000 to the gold guide. Until those two months, most everyone was still on Amiga guides. I am wondering if the date of April 1st (since it was April Fools day) was put in there as a April Fools prank for future use.

What do you all think?
I must have too much time on my hands to investigate this, but if you wanted the accurate date, I figure I would mention it just in case someone else notices this.

Thanks,
Steven
SchalaAshtear

Post by SchalaAshtear »

IIRC, Glens Falls didn't get the gold grid until March 2000... maybe one of the last to switch? Albany got it several months before them...

nwgatwcfan: Yea, that makes sense... since 91 + 256 does equal 347, which corresponds to December 13 on common years. :D
~Schala Ashtear