Adventures in Yak Shaving: Getting curday.dat to work

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Celarix

Adventures in Yak Shaving: Getting curday.dat to work

Post by Celarix »

Hello, Prevue Guide Forums, I'm Celarix, and I've just recently got into emulating the Prevue Guide software. I followed the tutorials linked in this thread, and got the emulation to work pretty well - I can cleanly boot into the Prevue software and it runs and everything.

I'm running into problems with the curday.dat file, though. I found the tvg_uncomp archive of uncompressed files and noticed that curday.dat has quite a bit of real data, so I used an ADF viewer/editor utility to drop the new file in, but the listing wouldn't display in Prevue, only the ER007 message. Viewing the curday.dat files I have in a hex editor, it seems that Prevue expects a file compressed with PowerPack, so I tried to follow this post in order to set up PowerData on an Amiga Workbench I put together.

I ran into serious problems with installing it, though, as my version of the Workbench lacks a decent installer, so I found the Commodore Installer from Aminet, which I was unable to install properly - it crashes when trying to install PowerData.

Am I on the right track? Is there a Windows utility that supports compressing/uncompressing PowerPack files? Is ER007 not even being caused by PowerPack-compressed data or lack thereof?

Thank you in advance.
Celarix

Re: Adventures in Yak Shaving: Getting curday.dat to work

Post by Celarix »

No, I was not on the right track. The curday.dat and nextday.dat files were set to the wrong day. Setting them to today's Julian date worked.
tin

Re: Adventures in Yak Shaving: Getting curday.dat to work

Post by tin »

Nice you found out what it was.

I'd SERIOUSLY recommend getting the whole thing running from a hard drive (image) it's a lot less painful to mess around with.

I might do a tutorial, finally!