Prevue Emulation for dummies.

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Chris

Prevue Emulation for dummies.

Post by Chris »

I would like to run a Prevue Emulator and make my own listings, but I don't know anything about it. Do I need an Amiga emulator? Software? Is there a tutorial anywhere? Please help me.
Matthew Joseph

Re: Prevue Emulation for dummies.

Post by Matthew Joseph »

Chris wrote:Do I need an Amiga emulator?
Yes. Try WinUAE, a Amiga emulator for Windows. Here is the link to download the program.

WinUAE installer
Chris wrote:Is there a tutorial anywhere?
We have topics containing instructions on how to operate the Prevue/TVGC software, how to add listings through curday.dat and adding custom-made graphics. Click on these links below to get started.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29 (TV Guide Channel Emulation Working!)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67 (Curday.dat Data Format)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=326 (How to add curday.dat without putting any Amiga programs.)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31 (Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!)

And Chris, try nwgatwcfan's Prevue channel listing editor, that you can use to create custom channel listings without using any hex editor, and uses a serial port to insert data to the Prevue/TVGC software from the Amiga. But this is optional if you find creating listings manually hard and difficult. Here is the link if you want to try.

Download link
Instructions
Forum topic
I'm a guy who loves Prevue/TVGC and other stuff like Power Rangers etc.
Chris

Post by Chris »

OK. I found the software and booted up WINUAE. With the Prevue channel sopftware, I get a screen saying Software Failure. Error: 8100 0005 Task: 0003C7B8. How do I work this? I downloaded the Prevue Channel Listings Editor/Sender, and I do ok with that, except the sending part.
Chris

Post by Chris »

OK, now I got the Prevue Channel program to work, but I can't figure out how to send my programming data to it. I'm using Windows 7 if that helps any.
wcfields

Post by wcfields »

You need to edit the curday.dat file with the date of the emulated Amiga (usually todays date) with a Hex editor. I've had a hell of a time getting it to work but I did get it.

There are a handful of curday's on the forum and I've had the best luck with the simplest one "Tulsa" since it only has one channel.