How to add curday.dat without putting any Amiga programs.

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Matthew Joseph

How to add curday.dat without putting any Amiga programs.

Post by Matthew Joseph »

For first time users of this forum, it is to hard to put a curday.dat file on Windows, Mac or Linux because of the startup sequence that tin did or PowerPacking, and if your not an experienced Amiga user or an Amiga expert, you can't do it. So I made instructions how to put a curday.dat file without making a startup-sequence or PowerPacking for Windows.

Alternative on the Mac: You should download 0xED, E-UAE (for older Macs), FS-UAE (for newer Macs) and Hi-Toro to before making this changes on the Mac.

Step 1: Download WinUAE (for Mac, E-UAE (for old Macs), FS-UAE (for newer Macs) and Hi-Toro) and Prevue disk for Amiga.
Step 2: Download curday.dat file here.
Step 3: Download adfview, it is another program that compresses ADF into a folder (but the ADF is still there even though it is a folder). You can copy, delete or replace any Amiga file in Windows without PowerPacking anything, even you can see hidden files in the ADF. (For Mac users, for version 4 to 5 (perfect for older Mac users and those without an Apple account), download "The Unarchiver". For version 6 and above, search at the Mac App Store "The Unarchiver" (yes, there's an app for that [pun intended!]) and download it. For the latter, it requires an Apple ID to download the app.)
Step 4: Download XVI32 (tin prefers this program), it is a hex program that looks like 0xED for the Mac. (For Mac, download 0xED)
Step 5: Un-zip your tvg_uncomp file and click on "curday.dat" , there will be a open-with popup that you need a program to open this file. To do that, click on "Add program" or something and go to C:/Program Files/XVI32/ and click on the program name.
Step 6: Edit the curday.dat file on XVI32. For first-time users who don't know how to edit the curday.dat file, here is the link. Make sure to save the file & not "Save As" because if you do that, it might have an error on it.
Step 7: After you edit the file, install adfview and click on "PREVUE.ADF" file. (For Mac, open The Unarchiver and extract the .adf file)
Step 8: Replace the original curday.dat with your customized curday.dat file.
Step 9: Open WinUAE and follow the instructions how to emulate the guide here. (For Mac, do Hi-Toro first before using the E-UAE)
Step 10: See the results

UPDATE (1/28/2020): Another way of sending the curday.dat is through serial. It is more easier and better than manually-editing the file and it can save much time to do that. This one is from one of our users here in this forum, nwgatwcfan, and its called the "Prevue Channel Listings Editor/Sender". For more details, see this thread. You can download this program right here. For instructions how to operate the sender, download this link and/or read this thread.
Last edited by Matthew Joseph on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: How to add curday.dat without putting any Amiga programs

Post by AriX »

Looks like a great guide. Thanks for posting!
bigbrh04

Post by bigbrh04 »

That might pose a problem to those that have the latest Mac Update. Ever since Apple released 10.9, any programs that ran below 10.6 or lower were rendered unusable on the latest versions, including those using E-UAE. The only Amiga Emulator I've found so far that works for 10.9.4 is FS-UAE. I wasn't able to get E-UAE to work on my Mac with that update, has anyone else had any success on getting E-UAE to work on theirs with the latest Mac 10.9.4 update?
wcfields

Post by wcfields »

I just tried replacing the curday.dat in the PREVUE.ADP disk image with the one from tvg_uncomp.zip and am still getting a ERR007.

Do I need to powerpack the curday.dat on the ADP for it to function?

edit: figured it out, see my previous thread about Real Time Clock