UVSG Data Feed Server

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
PrevueAddict

Re: UVSG Data Feed Server

Post by PrevueAddict »

Well i have the unit, have the software, have the null modem cable, now I am working with Norpak tech support to try and figure this out.

still working it!
curtjr4

Post by curtjr4 »

PrevueAddict wrote:Well i have the unit, have the software, have the null modem cable, now I am working with Norpak tech support to try and figure this out.

still working it!
W00T! So, did you get anything out of it so far? Pictures? :P
Metalguy66

Post by Metalguy66 »

Here's one way you could do it.... Youd probably have to lease some rack-server space with a hosting company, in order to get enough outgoing server badwidth though... But here goes:

For the data stream, put a lantrnics UDS-10 on the serial port of each EPG Jr or AMIGA EPG machine.. Configure each lantronics to the same login ID/Info on the telnet side.. and then of course, forward port 23 on each persons internet gateway to the lantronics... Then register their gateway with DynDNS.. Then they just send you their DynDNS domai nname.. You add it to your list on your server, and your server telnets directly into their lantronics box and streams the data into the serial port of the machine.

Then, you just stream the upper screen half as a single high resolution video stream.. like a podcast... They either run that from the "TV-OUT" of their PC into the genlock input of their AMIGA, or if they are emulating, the emulation software directky incorporates the video stream from the net as the top half.. also, the emulated software could obviously accept the telnet connection for the data..
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Metalguy66 wrote:Here's one way you could do it.... Youd probably have to lease some rack-server space with a hosting company, in order to get enough outgoing server badwidth though... But here goes:

For the data stream, put a lantrnics UDS-10 on the serial port of each EPG Jr or AMIGA EPG machine.. Configure each lantronics to the same login ID/Info on the telnet side.. and then of course, forward port 23 on each persons internet gateway to the lantronics... Then register their gateway with DynDNS.. Then they just send you their DynDNS domai nname.. You add it to your list on your server, and your server telnets directly into their lantronics box and streams the data into the serial port of the machine.

Then, you just stream the upper screen half as a single high resolution video stream.. like a podcast... They either run that from the "TV-OUT" of their PC into the genlock input of their AMIGA, or if they are emulating, the emulation software directky incorporates the video stream from the net as the top half.. also, the emulated software could obviously accept the telnet connection for the data..
Right, the issue is to have enough bandwidth to constantly send a video stream to multiple clients at once over the internet... Probably a bit unfeasible, at least for me, right now. My current plan, once I have an Amiga, is to use the top half of my Prevue Simulator and stream that into the Amiga from my Mac mini... I'll want to rewrite most of the Prevue Simulator code before it's ready for public consumption though... Also, those UDS-10 units look kind of expensive - it would probably be easier to get an old PC and hook it up to the serial port.
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Perhaps you wouldn't have to stream it live...one could prefetch the video clips (maybe even optionally using P2P or something to lighten server load) and play them locally rather than streaming.