Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Post by AriX »

hen7713 wrote:When TVGBANNER.UV is missing, ER009 is thrown.
Ah, cool. I had seen that string in ESQ and wondered what it was for.
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

I just got it started painlessly using the E-UAE in Debian 6. :D

Now once I figure out how to jack listings (since I don't use MythTV, I watch TV in MPlayer directly) maybe I'll come up with a way to use it for something. xD
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

I'm sure most of you already know this but I figured out that you can change/add your own custom logos by modifying the LOGO.LST file on the root of the floppy.

One thing I have wondered though is what size the image must be to be fullscreen in the top half instead of slightly bordered (if you dont know what I mean, compare ENEWS with TVGSPORT) Obviously 320x240 images are slightly bordered, and the size that TVGSPORT is must be fullscreen size. Does anyone here know what the size of TVGSPORT is? (BTW i'm still trying to figure out how to unpack files so this is not on account of me just being lazy :P)
tin

Post by tin »

Bolt96 wrote:I'm sure most of you already know this but I figured out that you can change/add your own custom logos by modifying the LOGO.LST file on the root of the floppy.

One thing I have wondered though is what size the image must be to be fullscreen in the top half instead of slightly bordered (if you dont know what I mean, compare ENEWS with TVGSPORT) Obviously 320x240 images are slightly bordered, and the size that TVGSPORT is must be fullscreen size. Does anyone here know what the size of TVGSPORT is? (BTW i'm still trying to figure out how to unpack files so this is not on account of me just being lazy :P)
I think, although I'm not 100% sure, you think you see TVGSPORT as fullscreen because actually the border around it is green like the main background colour of the picture itself. This is done by making the colour colour 0 in the palette of the picture. It's pretty easy to move the colours around and remap the image with PPaint.
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

I have a question, was Prevue planning on doing the same thing that they had done with the TV Guide NT system? Since, there are colors such as magenta and green in gradient.ini, which coincide with the TV Guide color scheme.
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

hen7713 wrote:I have a question, was Prevue planning on doing the same thing that they had done with the TV Guide NT system? Since, there are colors such as magenta and green in gradient.ini, which coincide with the TV Guide color scheme.
Sorry, what "thing that they had done with the TV Guide NT system" are you referring to?
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

The highlights they used for theme based programming, such as red for movies, green for sports, etc
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)
tin

Post by tin »

Yeah, I think they did, because some of them work even in this version of PG. Note the programme type flags are known, which I am sure gives the colours: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67&start=10#p574

However I am not yet sure how they would have implemented the colours on the bottom screen with only having 8 colours there, maybe with more copper usage.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

hen7713 wrote:I have a question, was Prevue planning on doing the same thing that they had done with the TV Guide NT system? Since, there are colors such as magenta and green in gradient.ini, which coincide with the TV Guide color scheme.
Hmm, good point. Kind of interesting. I thought I had seen a YouTube video of the Amiga version with color-coded program types, but I looked through my collection and I couldn't find one... Maybe they were indeed planning on doing that but switched to the Windows-based system before they flipped the switch on the color-coded programs.
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

I was un-PowerPacking images in the TVGC ADF and viewing them in feh, and I found this image:

(Brushes/TVGAT.UV)
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to