Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
LocalH

Re: Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Post by LocalH »

Hate to say it, but the aspect ratio issue will come into play here - only in reverse. Notice how those logos look a bit skinny? That's because the image needs to be wider in Amiga pixels to fill up the proper "square-pixel" width once corrected for aspect.

Give me some time to get good and awake, and I'll mess around with some stuff, see if I can get some slightly better results. Gotta find my Workbench disk images, though - I don't have them on this computer and it makes it hard to do anything operating just from floppy disk.
tin

Post by tin »

Hah, yeah you are right, it was just for a quick mess about anyway.....
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:Hmm, most of the work requires tarting around with other Amiga programs. In fact I wouldn't know how to easily get the files from the PC to the .adf without loading workbench, sorry!
:) Okay I got the Amiga HD & Workbench 3.0 installed from http://classicwb.abime.net/ but I'm unsure as what to do from here. I tried running the .adf in the amiga hd but I'm unsure how to do that.
tin

Post by tin »

Insert the disk with the UAE GUI - press f12 while in the emulation. It should show up on the workbench like you inserted it.

A lot of the files on the disk are powerpacked, run the program PD from the C folder to install a patch that invisibly decompress them for you. Ideally you'd re-compress to put them back on the disk but I haven't been bothered.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:Insert the disk with the UAE GUI - press f12 while in the emulation. It should show up on the workbench like you inserted it.

A lot of the files on the disk are powerpacked, run the program PD from the C folder to install a patch that invisibly decompress them for you. Ideally you'd re-compress to put them back on the disk but I haven't been bothered.
Hmm...ok under "Floppy drives" I have the workbench .adf in DF0, and the prevue.adf in DF1. Then I went to the workbench and clicked the "System" folder and found the "C" folder but I was unable to find "PD".
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

PD is in the Prevue disk's C directory, not the Workbench's. :)

Or you can use the right mouse button, go to the Workbench menu, go to "Execute command", and type run <nil: >nil: df1:c/PD. You won't see any confirmation that it loaded, other than the disk in DF1 actually being read from.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

LocalH wrote:PD is in the Prevue disk's C directory, not the Workbench's. :)

Or you can use the right mouse button, go to the Workbench menu, go to "Execute command", and type run <nil: >nil: df1:c/PD. You won't see any confirmation that it loaded, other than the disk in DF1 actually being read from.
Alright I did that. Maybe the setup isnt right. I attached a screenshot if you want to glance at it.
Attachments
amigawb.png
amigawb.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 11246 times
angie2010

Post by angie2010 »

Here's another example of the emulated Prevue Guide:
prevue1.png
prevue1.png (446.03 KiB) Viewed 11177 times
That's Me
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

angie2010 wrote:Here's another example of the emulated Prevue Guide
I don't think you quite understand what we mean here... When we say "emulated", we mean we're running the original software that the Prevue Guide ran on. Your example is more of a simulation, where you're creating something that looks like Prevue Guide.
hen7713

Post by hen7713 »

When TVGBANNER.UV is missing, ER009 is thrown.
Attachments
ER009.png
ER009.png (14.75 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
PearGuide - mms://hen7713.com:8081/ (Open in something such as Windows Media Player, VLC, etc)