Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
tin

Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Post by tin »

Images captured from swest's quality videos he uploaded to megavideo, transformed to .iff for the amiga to understand. They're obviously a bit shakey coming from VHS, and the banner in the lower half looks rough because it appears the palette (of only 8 colours) was changed in the transition between PG and TVG
prevue guide'd TV guide channel.png
prevue guide'd TV guide channel.png (95.71 KiB) Viewed 18396 times
Unfortunately the forum won't let me upload the .iff format files - it detects they are .iff and insists I call them .iff if I lie about the extension, then says .iff is not allowed! :( if AriX can get round this, I'll upload :)
AriX
Site Admin

Re: Just for giggles :) Prevue Guide now emulated!

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Images captured from swest's quality videos he uploaded to megavideo, transformed to .iff for the amiga to understand. They're obviously a bit shakey coming from VHS, and the banner in the lower half looks rough because it appears the palette (of only 8 colours) was changed in the transition between PG and TVG

Unfortunately the forum won't let me upload the .iff format files - it detects they are .iff and insists I call them .iff if I lie about the extension, then says .iff is not allowed! :( if AriX can get round this, I'll upload :)
Very cool :)
Did you add the Prevue Guide background as a LOGO?

About the files, I don't understand... What's wrong with having the extension as IFF? If you want to email them to me or send them over AIM, I can upload them to the webserver. Or, you could try uploading them to the wiki.
tin

Post by tin »

The background is a logo - replacing the TV guide entertainment news logo.

One thing that is a shame, it doesn't have the smooth fade in/out of the old prevue guide - a great shame!

If you try to upload .iff the forum just says "the extension iff is not allowed". If I try to lie and say it's a PNG, it's clever enough to know that it's really an .iff (which I was impressed with).
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:The background is a logo - replacing the TV guide entertainment news logo.

One thing that is a shame, it doesn't have the smooth fade in/out of the old prevue guide - a great shame!

If you try to upload .iff the forum just says "the extension iff is not allowed". If I try to lie and say it's a PNG, it's clever enough to know that it's really an .iff (which I was impressed with).
Thats pretty cool! :) How were you able to insert those logos?
tin

Post by tin »

I grabbed the logo from swest's videos that he uploaded to megaupload - they are the right resolution and of good quality.

I then put them into GIMP and cut out to the right size 320x240 for ENEWS and 640x160 for TVGBANNER and saved as .png

Then transferred them over to the emulated Amiga's HD. In each case I opened the original UV file first (which changes the screenmode to the right pixels/depth), then opened the new GIMP .png file, and declined to change screenmode when it asks.

For the TVGBANNR one I also needed to save the palette from the original TVGBANNER.UV and once the new image was loaded, reload the palette, and remap the image to the available colours.

Then I grabbed the image as a brush (again watching out that it was the right size), and saved the brush as ILBM format, but with the extension .UV, and copied them over the top of the images on the original .ADF
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:I grabbed the logo from swest's videos that he uploaded to megaupload - they are the right resolution and of good quality.

I then put them into GIMP and cut out to the right size 320x240 for ENEWS and 640x160 for TVGBANNER and saved as .png

Then transferred them over to the emulated Amiga's HD. In each case I opened the original UV file first (which changes the screenmode to the right pixels/depth), then opened the new GIMP .png file, and declined to change screenmode when it asks.

For the TVGBANNR one I also needed to save the palette from the original TVGBANNER.UV and once the new image was loaded, reload the palette, and remap the image to the available colours.

Then I grabbed the image as a brush (again watching out that it was the right size), and saved the brush as ILBM format, but with the extension .UV, and copied them over the top of the images on the original .ADF
Sorry but how would you do all that? :lol:
tin

Post by tin »

LOL! you running a proper Amiga in your emulator, or just for Prevue?
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

tin wrote:LOL! you running a proper Amiga in your emulator, or just for Prevue?
I'm just running the prevue ADF.
tin

Post by tin »

Hmm, most of the work requires tarting around with other Amiga programs. In fact I wouldn't know how to easily get the files from the PC to the .adf without loading workbench, sorry!