How to get to curday.dat file?

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Braxton Leo

How to get to curday.dat file?

Post by Braxton Leo »

Sorry for the newb question, but I saw a fairly detailed thread discussing how to edit the curday.dat file. What I want to know is how to get there in the first place?

I'm using e-uae, if that helps.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: How to get to curday.dat file?

Post by AriX »

Braxton Leo wrote:Sorry for the newb question, but I saw a fairly detailed thread discussing how to edit the curday.dat file. What I want to know is how to get there in the first place?

I'm using e-uae, if that helps.
Hi Braxton,

You could do it a few different ways - one is to get an installation of Amiga Workbench, and add a local directory to your installation with E-UAE (are you on the Mac like me? or Linux?). Then, you can transfer files back and forth with the Amiga command line (http://winuaehelp.back2roots.org/backgr ... igados.htm). The best way to do it is described by tin here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67&start=10, but you need to do the other thing first in order to edit your Startup-Sequence.
Braxton Leo

Post by Braxton Leo »

I'm using Linux. I was able to download a program called unadf, which extracts the contents of the adf file into a folder. I have not found a utility that does the reverse, which is what I would imagine needs to be done. I found the curday.dat file and opened it in ghex. Unfortunately, it looks nothing like the file mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

What would be helpful is if someone could post a curday.dat file they are using, so that I can modify it in the hex editor.
Attachments
curday.dat.zip
curday.dat from PREVUE.ADF posted on this site
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Braxton Leo wrote:I'm using Linux. I was able to download a program called unadf, which extracts the contents of the adf file into a folder. I have not found a utility that does the reverse, which is what I would imagine needs to be done. I found the curday.dat file and opened it in ghex. Unfortunately, it looks nothing like the file mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

What would be helpful is if someone could post a curday.dat file they are using, so that I can modify it in the hex editor.
Hi Braxton,

Of course it would make sense to do it that way, but unfortunately I don't believe there are any programs out there that can do it for you. As far as the curday.dat file, you'll need to run it through a utility called "PowerPacker" to unpack (decompress) the file into a readable/editable format. Luckily, you don't have to re-pack the file once you edit it if you don't want to.

EDIT: Looks like this file, originally posted by LocalH, has un-PowerPacked versions of a bunch of the files on the disk: http://www.ariweinstein.com/prevue/down ... .php?id=17
tin

Post by tin »

If you run powerdata, which is on the Prevue disk, it will invisibly un powerpack and powerpack the files as you go.

For working on files from the ADF, being able to write files back onto the ADF, rather than using unadf, and to be able to edit curday etc without having to unpowerpack and re-powerpack all the time, I would suggest:-

- Make a standard Workbench install on a separate virtual hard drive (like you have for Prevue). Make the emulated Amiga specifications as high end as you want, as it's much more pleasurable to work with than a desktop that's trying to work in 2mb of RAM with 4 colours on screen :) There are loads of websites that help with this, and some that give you high-end configurations and pre-installed software etc. Make the boot priority higher (i.e. a lower figure) than the existing Prevue DH2:

- Keep your Prevue DH2: drive that you just created but now with a lower boot priority than the Workbench install.

- Create another eUAE profile with BOTH hard disks configured, so that you boot from the Workbench HD, but the Prevue HD is available to work on.

- Download (with either your PC/mac or with the Amiga if you have a web browser on it) Powerdata from http://aminet.net/search?query=powerdata. If you use the PC/mac, put it in the Workbench virtual HD folder somewhere so you can access it from the Amiga.

- With the Amiga, uncompress the LHA archive and Install powerdata (this will require something on the Amiga that can un-LHA compress it, so you might have to research a little bit if your workbench install is not set up for this straight away)

- Run powerdata, the GUI should appear. Ensure in the bottom right that Decrunch is ticked and Crunch is NOT ticked. Click Save.

- Delete the contents of the Prevue HD. Ensure you delete everything by going to Window->view->all files, then window->select all files, then icon->delete. Insert the Prevue ADF and copy (again ALL of) the files from the disk to the HD with Workbench. This will preserve all the permissions correctly AND decrunch the powerpacked stuff on the way across.

- Modify your startup sequence accordingly again.

- Boot from your existing prevue profile from Win/eUAE.

You should now be able to work on all the files, uncompressed, inside your PC or mac by working directly on the prevue HD folder.

Hope that helps.
Braxton Leo

Post by Braxton Leo »

I'm not understanding the concept of the "workbench".
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

Workbench is the equivalent of Finder/Explorer, not?
tin

Post by tin »

Hmm, sorta. I suppose technically I should say a full install of AmigaOS, which is often colloquially (and on the disks) referred to as Workbench.