Interesting Find on listings

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
nwgatwcfan

Interesting Find on listings

Post by nwgatwcfan »

Folks, I have discovered that the source ID in each listing can contain a wild card.

If you enter a "*" in the source ID of the listing, you can write the same listing to every channel in your lineup.

If you enter "W*" in the source ID, you can write the listing to all source IDs in your lineup that start with W.

With this new information, it gives insight on the source ID names that appeared in the Los Angeles/Hawthorne listings. If the channel was part of a network, the source ID started with the network name + some number. What I believe they did this for was to minimize the amount of data that had to be sent. For instance, LA's KCBS is listed as CBS002. SF's KPIX maybe listed as CBS005. If you use the listing source "CBS*" and send this out, both KCBS and KPIX would get the same listing. So the national data would be sent to all CBS stations with the wildcard source ID and then the localized programs / preemptions would be sent with the full source ID. If you think about it, this would cut down the amount of data being sent over satellite - especially with as many networks that are out there.

Also, this reasoning might explain why they ran the listings so late at night. If you send the national listings first, there may be a delay until the local preemptions are sent over. Since most people are asleep at this time, then this wouldn't be noticed as much.

At least it is something to ponder about...

Steven
nwgatwcfan
Matthew Joseph

Re: Interesting Find on listings

Post by Matthew Joseph »

Oh goodie! And its nice to hear you back again!

Maybe, and I think I'm right, the reason for the asterisk on a source ID it is to decrease listings for a TV network with many local O&Os and affiliates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: The only problem is that it is only for a network with one timezone. I think the mainframe at Tulsa have four to six national listings of each network depicting the Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific (Western), Hawaii and Alaskan (both if necessary) timezone versions of the national feed that carries those listings.

The local headends, in the meantime in my opinion, would choose which listings feed they would choose to carry on their guide. For example a local NBC station in Atlanta would pick the Eastern listings, while a local ABC station in Tulsa would pick the Central listings. There they will insert local programming listings that includes local sports, news or paid programming on the slots.

But let me experiment some more with that asterisk wildcard feature on the source ID when I'm ready to do so.