newbie to prevue/tv guide emulation...

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
Danfun64

newbie to prevue/tv guide emulation...

Post by Danfun64 »

Hello, although I am not new to emulation itself (i used various emulators in the past), I am new to tv guide emulation. I didn't even know that TV Guide was named Prevue Guide in the past until recently. I noticed that you guys are trying to emulate the prevue guide software. How far have you got in emulation? Is there a way to get tv listings through the emulation in windows? Sorry, but the status of things aren't clear... This next question might be outlandish, but has anybody managed to emulate the win-nt versions of the tv guide software? Thanks in advance.

edit: fixed title LOL
tin

Re: newbie to prevue/tv guide emulation...

Post by tin »

Definitely not the NT version! We can emulate the Amiga version under windows in WinUAE, and inject some of the data via a virtual serial port. Or in fact, it can run on a real Amiga too.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

ok... so if i wanted to do manual listings entry (for goofy purposes i guess), i'm trying this:
tin wrote:Okay as you might have guessed, make a new HD from a folder on your Host OS. Assign it DH2 (or change the script whatever you prefer) and change the startup sequence to the following:

;main startup script

failat 21
assign ENV: dh2:
makedir ram:T
assign T: ram:T

assign c: dh2:c
assign s: dh2:s
assign df0: dismount
assign df0: dh2:

newcli "CON:0/0/640/200/ Prevue" from s:uv-ver
endcli >nil
but when i try to use the script, well... Image

If this isn't right, then i don't know what the problem is... Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
tin

Post by tin »

U need to copy ALL the files from the floppy disk to your (virtual) HD and make that the boot device.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

we seem to be making progress, now, whats wrong with THIS picture?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

edit: just in case, i fixed the mount part of the config, so it now looks like this:

edit 2: nvm, i missed this part:
tin wrote:...make that the boot device.
Braxton Leo

Post by Braxton Leo »

How do you make a boot device?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Braxton Leo wrote:How do you make a boot device?
I believe in E-UAE somewhere you can specify what is the primary boot device - as in, tell it to prioritize booting from a virtual hard drive rather than a virtual floppy drive.
Braxton Leo

Post by Braxton Leo »

I used unadf to extract all files from the PREVUE.ADF file that is posted on this site. I copied all of the contents into a folder called /root/Downloads/Prevue.
I then set the directory as the hard drive, giving it Boot priority 1:

However, when I pressed start, this is what happened when I tried to follow the instructions:

What am I doing wrong?
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Try this:

1) In the E-UAE configuration, change the device name from Prevue to DH2 (you can leave the volume name as Prevue or make it anything else you want, only thing that's important is the device name).
2) Launch E-UAE and begin the emulation.
3) Immediately after doing so, hold down both left and right mouse button.
4) If you don't see a menu listing boot devices (after step one, you should at least see DF0 and DH2, and depending on how many floppy drive you have enabled you may see DF1-DF3), start again from step 2
5) On this menu, click Advanced Options.
6) On the screen that results, click next to Startup-Sequence where it says ENABLED, it should change to DISABLED
7) Click USE and when it goes back to the menu saying Select Boot Partition, choose DH2
8) When the 1> prompt appears, type the following command lines, wait for each one to complete before doing the next one:

protect c:#? rwed
protect s:#? srwed
protect SYS:esq rwed

9) After the last one is done, try rebooting your emulated Amiga, you should then at least be a little further along (if it doesn't outright work fine).

Oh, and for the record (to tin, or anyone else using this script) - if you're using DH2 as a boot device, then there's no real need to assign c: and s: as DH2: is SYS: and c: and s: are by default SYS:c and SYS:s - it won't hurt anything, it'll just make booting ever so slightly slower =P
woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 »

When I try to run those commands, I get this:

Code: Select all

protect: file is not executable
How do I fix this?
—xoddf2 | wlair.us.to