PG disk on REAL Amigas.

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: PG disk on REAL Amigas.

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:YAY
:D! Nice!
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

AriX wrote:
:D! Nice!
Cool! :D
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Very nice, I just saw this thread and was going to check to see if any of your A2000s have 1MB chip RAM, as I'm pretty sure having only 512K caused weird bootup errors and Gurus under WinUAE. I seem to remember I got it to boot under WinUAE with the "genlock" disabled, so I wasn't aware that it actually required a genlock. I would try it out on my A3000, but it doesn't recognize its fast RAM and so all I would get would be an ER011 at best. I don't really feel like pulling the genlock out of my A2000 as it's a beast of a board and quite a tight fit, that and I'd also have to remove the breakout box that attaches to the back of the Amiga and that's a lot more work than I'd like to do.

As for your crashing issue, tin, I wonder if the system heating up is causing a marginal piece of hardware (a RAM chip or possibly something on the genlock) to fail. Does other software fail in a similar fashion? I'm not aware of any other software that actually requires a genlock to run, or I'd suggest testing it to see if it runs (with the exception of genlock-specific software like the tool disk that came with my SuperGen 2000S, which would likely only run with one of the various SuperGen genlocks attached/installed). Even software that was primarily used with genlocks such as Broadcast Titler 2 don't actually require one, they work just fine without.
tin

Post by tin »

Regard A3000, I found out yesterday that the video slot in the A2000 is different to the A3000 - well the position of the ports and the size of the rear blanking plate are anyway. So the A2000 genlock fits, but you cant screw the rear plate into position!

Pretty certain the software does something that absolutely expects some genlock hardware, and crashes without. Weird, but then we know PG is a bit buggy :)

On the crashing issue I agree - these A2000s have clearly been out of use for a long time, so it could be a whole number of things (my proper in use Amiga is an A1200). I am looking to make 2, maybe 3 good A2000s out of the bits of 5 that I have, so once I embark on that project I am sure I will find what issues affect which box. One of them has a dodgy PSU, everytime the disk drive sparks up I can hear the fan in the PSU groan at the strain!
swest77

Post by swest77 »

Now, that is just plain awesome to see. :D