AmgiaOS help

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
WeatherSTARIII

AmgiaOS help

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

Hello, I'm new to this fourm and I used to watch the Prevue Channel alot back in the '90s. Anyways, I'm trying to install Amgia OS which I got off ClassicWorkbench's website (http://classicwb.abime.net/) so I could do my own tankering with the Prevue program and edit the curday.dat file. Every time I try to install Amgia OS on WinUAE (since I'm using Windows XP), I keep getting this error message as seen below:

Can you please help me with some step-by-step instuctions please? I also can't figure out how to run the EPG Jr. on the Atari 800 Emulator, do I have to type in a command in order to get the ROM to run? Anyways, I have never used either AmgiaOS or the Atari 800 before since I've allways had used Windows ever since Windows 95. I just wanted to know. Thank you.
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
AriX
Site Admin

Re: AmgiaOS help

Post by AriX »

Don't know anything about Windows or Atari800, but you don't have to install AmigaOS to run the Prevue Channel software... All you need to do is use the PREVUE.ADF floppy image.

Also, just so you know, it's called Amiga, not Amgia, and generally speaking, Windows 95 came out significantly after both the Atari 800 and AmigaOS ;)
tin

Post by tin »

How is your hard drive set up in WinUAE? Look for the line in the Hardware->hard drives section of the WinUAE properties window, and let me know the Device, Volume and path values.
WeatherSTARIII

Re: AmigaOS help

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

tin wrote:How is your hard drive set up in WinUAE? Look for the line in the Hardware->hard drives section of the WinUAE properties window, and let me know the Device, Volume and path values.
I don't have a hard drive. And sorry for the misspelling. Anyways I don't have a hard drive. :roll:
WeatherSTAR III:
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

WeatherSTARIII wrote:
tin wrote:How is your hard drive set up in WinUAE? Look for the line in the Hardware->hard drives section of the WinUAE properties window, and let me know the Device, Volume and path values.
I don't have a hard drive. And sorry for the misspelling. Anyways I don't have a hard drive. :roll:
Well that could be a problem. How do you expect to install AmigaOS onto disk when you don't have one? ;) You'll have to make a new hard drive and add it as DH0... Or just run from the PREVUE.ADF and don't install AmigaOS at all, as that's not necessary (and really won't help you).

By the way, what OS are you running? That looks like a pretty legit Windows 9x installation if I'm seeing correctly :p
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

AriX wrote:
WeatherSTARIII wrote:
Well that could be a problem. How do you expect to install AmigaOS onto disk when you don't have one? ;) You'll have to make a new hard drive and add it as DH0... Or just run from the PREVUE.ADF and don't install AmigaOS at all, as that's not necessary (and really won't help you).

By the way, what OS are you running? That looks like a pretty legit Windows 9x installation if I'm seeing correctly :p
Nope, its really Windows XP SP3 decked out like Windows 9x. I'm not kidding! Plus I've always perfered the 9x look anyways. :lol:
WeatherSTAR III:
tin

Post by tin »

WeatherSTARIII wrote: Nope, its really Windows XP SP3 decked out like Windows 9x. I'm not kidding! Plus I've always perfered the 9x look anyways. :lol:
Yeah, me too :)

Anyway create yourself a hard drive similar to the above first but call it DH0. Use "Add directory or Archive", Device DH0, Volume label System, Path - pick a drawer on your PC where you want the hard drive to be and use Select Directory. This will create more directories on your PC that contain the Amiga files - this means no messing about getting from PC to amiga - if your PC program can read the file format then you can work directly with the files on the PC.

Within windows, put the system.zip that you must have downloaded in your hard drive folder, then go back into your Amiga and try whatever you did again.

NOTE: I imagine this will create what I would call your "work" Amiga - where you can do work to get the files and folders for prevue disk uncompressed and onto another (seperate) hard drive. You will then need to create another UAE configuration that is a stock A2000 (with extra memory) that boots this second hard drive directly. Pretty much as if it was the floppy disk. Indeed prevue is hardcoded in places to read directly from DF0: (the first floppy drive) hence why there are some assigns in my startup-sequence.

I'm not saying it's definitely impossible, but installing prevue on top of a full high end workbench install I think will be pretty much impossible!
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

Its still giving me the same message: "No DH0:System.zip file can be found." I can't find the System.zip file on my real PC. What shoud I do?
WeatherSTAR III:
tin

Post by tin »

WeatherSTARIII wrote:Its still giving me the same message: "No DH0:System.zip file can be found." I can't find the System.zip file on my real PC. What shoud I do?
System.zip will come from wherever you got the install disk(s) from. You need to put it there yourself. Where did you get the AmigaOS install stuff from?
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

tin wrote:
WeatherSTARIII wrote:Its still giving me the same message: "No DH0:System.zip file can be found." I can't find the System.zip file on my real PC. What shoud I do?
System.zip will come from wherever you got the install disk(s) from. You need to put it there yourself. Where did you get the AmigaOS install stuff from?
Classic WorkBench's website, http://classicwb.abime.net/.
WeatherSTAR III: