LISTINGS!

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
tin

Re: LISTINGS!

Post by tin »

AFAIK Pausing is something to do with both the SRC and PROG tags, which you can see in Prevue Guide emulation by using the H/ctrl-H and J/ctrl-J keys. In these there are bits that indicate programming that should be highlighted, like "Movie" in the PROG information for example.

I am not sure of the combination that makes the scrolling pause, I think the most obvious is the Movie tag which will pause the scroll on that channel if the movie is listed, but I am sure there are others, for example I am pretty sure one of the channel attributes will make that channel always pause no matter what's on.

PG is a bit clever and if it had paused the scrolling while a another pausing programme was already on the screen (e.g. channel 24 caused the scroll to pause, and channel 25 wants to also cause a pause) it does not pause again until those channels have scrolled off-screen - hence the sometimes seen pause every 3 channels.

All of this does not rule out maybe another parameter somewhere that pauses for everything, but I haven't found it yet ;)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Bit of confusion here, by my records byte 7 of that is stored at $041A, but assuming you mean byte 7, I am reasonably certain it is ignored in Atari (as is byte 6 which is used on Amiga for number of advert lines).
Hmm, that's weird. It definitely appears to be stored at $0420 for me - the settings block starts at $0416 and not $0410. In any case, wherever it is, it seems to be set by default to N when the software initially starts, but it is sometimes changed by the software itself to Y (or at least I think I saw it do that once).

Also, tin, interesting stuff about the scrolling. I'm going to experiment around with the program tags a bit.
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote:Hmm, that's weird. It definitely appears to be stored at $0420 for me - the settings block starts at $0416 and not $0410. In any case, wherever it is, it seems to be set by default to N when the software initially starts, but it is sometimes changed by the software itself to Y (or at least I think I saw it do that once).
Hmmm. I get settings block for command F starting at $0414 until $0427, with byte 7 at $041A. $0420 is byte OD (keyboard enabled) isn't it? In fact that is the byte that is checked in the code fragment I posted.

I guess the value can be altered by sending stuff that is intended for the Amiga. The code will copy the settings set by command F into that memory location, but the code doesn't ever use it for anything AFAIK.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Hmmm. I get settings block for command F starting at $0414 until $0427, with byte 7 at $041A. $0420 is byte OD (keyboard enabled) isn't it? In fact that is the byte that is checked in the code fragment I posted.

I guess the value can be altered by sending stuff that is intended for the Amiga. The code will copy the settings set by command F into that memory location, but the code doesn't ever use it for anything AFAIK.
You're absolutely right, and I couldn't be more wrong. In fact, I was just getting confused as to where exactly the settings started. Byte $0420 is indeed keyboard enabled, and when I saw it change, it was because I typed "!" in the change scroll speed menu. Sorry about that!
tin

Post by tin »

Ahh no worries, it's all cool ;) starting to doubt my sanity for a minute ;)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

I'm currently playing around with my AP2000, and I've posted a video stream if want to see.

Right now, not too much interesting stuff is going on, and the feed itself isn't great. I'm almost done with the data server, so I will be testing that out a bit on here, but also at some point soon I'll be hooking up a video feed.

[html]
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... on=9,0,0,0" width="480" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://home.winxblog.com:86/nchplayer.s ... start=true">
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="http://home.winxblog.com:86/nchplayer.s ... start=true" width="480" height="385" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"/>
</object>
[/html]

If the Flash stream isn't working, you can try the image stream. I think I'll be switching to the Darwin/QuickTime Streaming Server or HTTP Live Streaming instead of this.
tin

Post by tin »

This is live off your A2000 right now? Cool :)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:This is live off your A2000 right now? Cool :)
Yep! The stream seems to get very slow periodically, I don't know whether it's because I'm running it off an old PC or just an inefficient codec/slow connection. I'm going to mess with it a bit when I get home, maybe I'll run it off my old MBP instead.

You'll notice the data light is flashing - that's because it's actively receiving data :)
Unfortunately the data is just the same listings over and over again and nothing interesting :p Also, the time is woefully off. I really want to get that Sneak Prevue source soon so that we can figure out the K command (maybe)!

I think I might need a new Amiga keyboard - occasionally mine doesn't work and the caps lock light starts flashing. I have to shut everything off for a few minutes before it will work again.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Nice! Can't wait to see how this comes along! :)
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Hooked up my old Prevue Simulator - maybe I'll try using tin's or just work on mine a lot. Let me know if the video quality is too terrible to even watch.

Want to see what it looks like when it reboots? Visit <link removed> Then a little bit later you can watch it fill with data if you want :p

EDIT: I had to remove the link, because when it reboots, the genlock is re-set to not overlay. Oh well, I'll mess with it later.