LISTINGS!

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
usotsuki

Re: LISTINGS!

Post by usotsuki »

Cap the disc and put it on a feed that loops automatically?
mixdup

Post by mixdup »

AriX wrote:I've been working on my sender, and I put together a little demo of what it looks like right now... It only sends the first 9 channels of my cable lineup in the video, because the Atari starts acting a bit odd when you go beyond that (the Amiga does fine though). I'm going to work on this and see if I can get it 100% working on the Atari. Also, I can release the sender code soon if anyone is interested in it, although it's not the most efficient and clear code you've ever seen :p

The listings are inaccurate because the timezones for both platforms are set totally incorrectly. Also, you can see that the programs are sent REALLY slowly. This is because (1) the code used in the video was a little less efficient than my current code and (2) the way I'm sending the messages right now is byte-by-byte, 1 byte per UDP packet, which slows everything down a lot. The end result is that if I send messages any faster than I was (which was 4 times slower than it was supposed to be, which is 240 bytes/sec), the Atari will fall behind and things will start getting screwy.

You can download the video at http://prevueguide.com/ListingSend.mov.zip (warning: big file, requires QuickTime or compatible)

Obviously I'm new here, I've been lurking around taiganet for a while and stumbled on this site. First of all, what you guys have done is pretty freaking amazing. I've got both the EPG Jr. and the Amiga software up and running, but is there any chance of you releasing this sender, or any of the stuff related to the centralized web-based sender? I'm doing this on a Mac, and this is the first time I've messed with Amiga stuff so if you posted that sender and I could get data into the grid without having to try to figure out how to edit files on the ADF, that'd be awesome
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

mixdup wrote:
AriX wrote:I've been working on my sender, and I put together a little demo of what it looks like right now... It only sends the first 9 channels of my cable lineup in the video, because the Atari starts acting a bit odd when you go beyond that (the Amiga does fine though). I'm going to work on this and see if I can get it 100% working on the Atari. Also, I can release the sender code soon if anyone is interested in it, although it's not the most efficient and clear code you've ever seen :p

The listings are inaccurate because the timezones for both platforms are set totally incorrectly. Also, you can see that the programs are sent REALLY slowly. This is because (1) the code used in the video was a little less efficient than my current code and (2) the way I'm sending the messages right now is byte-by-byte, 1 byte per UDP packet, which slows everything down a lot. The end result is that if I send messages any faster than I was (which was 4 times slower than it was supposed to be, which is 240 bytes/sec), the Atari will fall behind and things will start getting screwy.

You can download the video at http://prevueguide.com/ListingSend.mov.zip (warning: big file, requires QuickTime or compatible)

Obviously I'm new here, I've been lurking around taiganet for a while and stumbled on this site. First of all, what you guys have done is pretty freaking amazing. I've got both the EPG Jr. and the Amiga software up and running, but is there any chance of you releasing this sender, or any of the stuff related to the centralized web-based sender? I'm doing this on a Mac, and this is the first time I've messed with Amiga stuff so if you posted that sender and I could get data into the grid without having to try to figure out how to edit files on the ADF, that'd be awesome
Hey mixdup,

Welcome! Glad you found us. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to work on the sender recently, since I have been busy with senior year of high school and applying to college. Now that this is almost all over with (I got into MIT :D), I will have some time to work on it. But I'd be happy to give you your own copy as well. The only problem is, the program is dependent on a bunch of different factors (network layout, program database, etc.). But I'd be happy to work with you on getting a custom version set up that will work for your scenario.

The only problem is that I'm in Costa Rica on vacation. But I get back January 1st, and I'd be happy to help you out then!
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

I'd say that if you wanted to take full advantage of what this software can do, you could learn how to edit the ADF just in case, and/or set up a virtual hard disk (I would not have been successful at anything at all if it weren't for the virtual hard disk). That is explained elsewhere on the forums by Tin. It's actually quite neat once you learn how to manipulate the program to your liking, although I admit as well that it'd be nice to be able to port channel information from an online listing into the emulator. In the meantime though, I have "generic" listings that I loop each day that are (generally) pretty accurate, particularly if the same programming is on at the same time daily (mine is for weekday programming).
mixdup

Post by mixdup »

Yeah, I think this weekend I will work on learning Amiga stuff to dig around in the files themselves. I've got a workbench ADF but it keeps crashing every time I try to open the drive to copy files. Just need to do a crash course in AmigaDOS I guess :)
mixdup

Post by mixdup »

I've finally managed to get the files copied and boot it from a hard drive, but it'd still be awesome if you'll release the stuff you were using to send listings via serial programmatically
mixdup

Post by mixdup »

AriX wrote:
mixdup wrote:

Hey mixdup,

Welcome! Glad you found us. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to work on the sender recently, since I have been busy with senior year of high school and applying to college. Now that this is almost all over with (I got into MIT :D), I will have some time to work on it. But I'd be happy to give you your own copy as well. The only problem is, the program is dependent on a bunch of different factors (network layout, program database, etc.). But I'd be happy to work with you on getting a custom version set up that will work for your scenario.

The only problem is that I'm in Costa Rica on vacation. But I get back January 1st, and I'd be happy to help you out then!
Hey Ari, have you had a chance to work on getting your data sender to a releasable state? I'd like to get my hands on it :) The WeatherStar simulator is out and it'd be cool to be able to mix up an internal channel for my house with a prevue emulation and weather channel emulation going
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

mixdup wrote:[Hey Ari, have you had a chance to work on getting your data sender to a releasable state? I'd like to get my hands on it :) The WeatherStar simulator is out and it'd be cool to be able to mix up an internal channel for my house with a prevue emulation and weather channel emulation going
mixdup,

I truly would love to. But I just haven't found the time. My first priority, in terms of Prevue, is to finish uploading all of those LaserDiscs I captured. But I would be happy to help you get the sender up and running. You're on a Mac, right?
ChrisROCKSC23

Post by ChrisROCKSC23 »

Yay! Although With My WinUAE emulator, how do I get my listing on.
My first 20 channels on TV
provider: Comcast
1. on demand
2.local programming
3. CBS KYW
4. ION
5. QVC
6. ABC WPVI
7. MY WPHL
8. CN8
9. FOX WXTF
10. PBS WLVT
11. NBC WCAU
12. PBS WHYY
13. CW
14. Educational Access
15.?
OH I WISH TV GUIDE NETWORK HAD ITS LISTINGS BACK!!!!
Matthew Joseph

Post by Matthew Joseph »

ChrisROCKSC23 wrote:Yay! Although With My WinUAE emulator, how do I get my listing on.
By editing curday.dat using a hex-editor program. See this topic here and my instructions here. You can me questions about curday.dat or my instructions if you like.
I'm a guy who loves Prevue/TVGC and other stuff like Power Rangers etc.