Tutorials for Prevue Emulation, Help?

Discuss the reverse engineering and emulation (as opposed to simulation) of any sort of Prevue hardware, including Atari-based and Amiga-based EPG channels and the Amiga-based Prevue/TV Guide channels.
MZSLV

Tutorials for Prevue Emulation, Help?

Post by MZSLV »

Hello guys, i'm new at this forum and i came to know about the Prevue/TV Guide Channel. I've digging this site looking for emulation. Using with WinUAE, downloaded ADFs and such. The problem is of course i'm new attempting to emulate Prevue like other guys from youtube did that emulation, but it says "Software failure""Error:8100 0005 Task: 0002A048"

What am i doing wrong? or do you have any tips to work this software?

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked. but now i need to know how to get the curday.dat and where i should to do for show listings.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: Tutorials for Prevue Emulation, Help?

Post by AriX »

MZSLV wrote:Hello guys, i'm new at this forum and i came to know about the Prevue/TV Guide Channel. I've digging this site looking for emulation. Using with WinUAE, downloaded ADFs and such. The problem is of course i'm new attempting to emulate Prevue like other guys from youtube did that emulation, but it says "Software failure""Error:8100 0005 Task: 0002A048"

What am i doing wrong? or do you have any tips to work this software?

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked. but now i need to know how to get the curday.dat and where i should to do for show listings.
To modify curday.dat, you'll need to edit the ADF the emulator is running off, or use the method described by tin here. Either way, you'll need some knowledge of the Amiga Workbench.

Curday.dat is a rather hacky way to insert your own listings. I believe I'm pretty close to a breakthrough on a 2400-baud-serial-based method for inserting listings, so stay tuned. (I say 2400-baud-serial-based because it turns out there were two data streams, one 2400-baud and one 110-baud, the latter being the control stream)
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

Now THAT sounds interesting. If there were a way to pull that information off the 'net as needed it would be even more interesting... almost like running the real thing with live data xDDD
MZSLV

Post by MZSLV »

AriX wrote: To modify curday.dat, you'll need to edit the ADF the emulator is running off, or use the method described by tin here. Either way, you'll need some knowledge of the Amiga Workbench.

Curday.dat is a rather hacky way to insert your own listings. I believe I'm pretty close to a breakthrough on a 2400-baud-serial-based method for inserting listings, so stay tuned. (I say 2400-baud-serial-based because it turns out there were two data streams, one 2400-baud and one 110-baud, the latter being the control stream)
I see, looks kind of complex, i'll try it.
MZSLV

Post by MZSLV »

Hem, i didn't edited the curday.dat and nxtday.dat but i finally see inside the ADF, also replaced banner files for look like "Prevue Guide" as seen in previous topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HARkWJ5M4E

It's a very very small step for me... i think so :)
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote:Curday.dat is a rather hacky way to insert your own listings. I believe I'm pretty close to a breakthrough on a 2400-baud-serial-based method for inserting listings, so stay tuned. (I say 2400-baud-serial-based because it turns out there were two data streams, one 2400-baud and one 110-baud, the latter being the control stream)
Hey AriX, how do you mean close to a breakthrough? I know we've spoken a number of times about this, but I got the impression you're a long way on than maybe you are? Do you have something that will insert test data, or not even that far yet? What do you think is the sticking point atm?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:
AriX wrote:Curday.dat is a rather hacky way to insert your own listings. I believe I'm pretty close to a breakthrough on a 2400-baud-serial-based method for inserting listings, so stay tuned. (I say 2400-baud-serial-based because it turns out there were two data streams, one 2400-baud and one 110-baud, the latter being the control stream)
Hey AriX, how do you mean close to a breakthrough? I know we've spoken a number of times about this, but I got the impression you're a long way on than maybe you are? Do you have something that will insert test data, or not even that far yet? What do you think is the sticking point atm?
I'm a bit confused about what you are asking - this post was from a long time ago, before we even knew how the P and C commands worked. I posted that because I knew that my friend was going to be sending me the test data files that ended up helping us figure out the P and C commands.

As far as right now, I several weeks ago finished writing a data server that can send full, accurate listings to any Prevue/EPG machine over serial using listing data from MythTV. I then rewrote it a bit later to be faster, more stable, and use online data instead, and I'm almost done with it for release, but I still have to change it so that the listings are accurate (right now it thinks curday is nxtday and generates the timeslots incorrectly), and then port my serial hack for Atari800MacX to Atari800 for Windows. I wrote a full web configuration interface for it, so once I'm done, you guys will sign up with me, and then you can configure what you want to be sent over the web interface. I will be providing more details about all of this later, of course.
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote:I'm a bit confused about what you are asking - this post was from a long time ago, before we even knew how the P and C commands worked. I posted that because I knew that my friend was going to be sending me the test data files that ended up helping us figure out the P and C commands.

As far as right now, I several weeks ago finished writing a data server that can send full, accurate listings to any Prevue/EPG machine over serial using listing data from MythTV. I then rewrote it a bit later to be faster, more stable, and use online data instead, and I'm almost done with it for release, but I still have to change it so that the listings are accurate (right now it thinks curday is nxtday and generates the timeslots incorrectly), and then port my serial hack for Atari800MacX to Atari800 for Windows. I wrote a full web configuration interface for it, so once I'm done, you guys will sign up with me, and then you can configure what you want to be sent over the web interface. I will be providing more details about all of this later, of course.
Opps more fool me for not checking the dates of the posts!!! I thought it was out of odds with how far you were on..... never mind ignore me :)