Directv Loses The Weather Channel forever.

Talk about anything here.
kwest93

Directv Loses The Weather Channel forever.

Post by kwest93 »

Directv took down TWC for WeatherNation because if loss of agreement. and half the reality shows caused the channel to be dropped.
joseph_sobora

Re: Directv Loses The Weather Channel forever.

Post by joseph_sobora »

kwest93 wrote:Directv took down TWC for WeatherNation because if loss of agreement. and half the reality shows caused the channel to be dropped.

It was due to a contract dispute which causes DirecTV to lose the channel. They were some complaints that "The Weather Channel" mostly focused on reality shows and not enough Weather, which is true.

Therefore, I saw the channel "WeatherNation" and it looks like the channel that "The Weather Channel" once had (before NBC-Universal and later Comcast purchased them) which is nothing but weather 24/7, it even plays music during those Weather forecast. This is the real deal.
tin

Post by tin »

I imagine Weather Channel decided it needs to be an entertainment channel, much like the TV guide channel did, and probably asked for more money too.

This I guess is the problem with these channels in this day and age, they lose viewers that can get the weather or TV guide, or music even on their smartphone or whatever, and then try to bring something in that will attract viewers for different reasons. I guess the vast majority of weather channel viewers were ones that tuned in, got their local weather and turned it off for the rest of the day. They can do that now on their phone.

The interesting thing with the weather channel is that Weathernation and Accuweather think they can compete. They must have some idea that there's enough of a market to bring viewers in and make a profit somehow. I (unfortunately) can't see it. I love this kind of TV, but think it's dead really.

I must say I watched Weathernation for a couple of hours (in the background), of course with no relevance to me as I'm in the UK, but I like its style - particularly for an American channel. No shouting (a common feature of all American channels it seems) nice use of instagram and youtube clips to bring people in, and a bit of humbleness, For example it's obvious they know they've just gone from small time to nationwide and are addressing that on air. Very nice.

They could probably do with some better interstitial music though :) its sounds like a worse version of the prevue stuff from 10-20 years ago!!
Matthew Joseph

Post by Matthew Joseph »

tin wrote:I imagine Weather Channel decided it needs to be an entertainment channel, much like the TV guide channel did, and probably asked for more money too.
Yup, this means TWC is not a 100% weather channel, but just a plain entertainment channel. The use of weather apps and going to news sites to check their local weather are more usable than watching TWC since you only check the local weather then turn off the TV and rest. More people are now on apps and smartphones plus the internet than the old way around since were in the 21st century. WeatherNation rulez!!!!!! :D HEHEHEHEHE

(P.S. For your information, I'm a user on Taiganet's WS4000 Simulator forums)
I'm a guy who loves Prevue/TVGC and other stuff like Power Rangers etc.
tin

Post by tin »

I did like however the other day when I checked weathernation out, in the background graphics they had "blah blah blah" written underneath the main header :) haha :D :D :D
Triple C

Post by Triple C »

joseph_sobora wrote:
kwest93 wrote:Directv took down TWC for WeatherNation because if loss of agreement. and half the reality shows caused the channel to be dropped.

It was due to a contract dispute which causes DirecTV to lose the channel. They were some complaints that "The Weather Channel" mostly focused on reality shows and not enough Weather, which is true.

Therefore, I saw the channel "WeatherNation" and it looks like the channel that "The Weather Channel" once had (before NBC-Universal and later Comcast purchased them) which is nothing but weather 24/7, it even plays music during those Weather forecast. This is the real deal.
I agree! TWC is nothing like it was 9-15 years ago.. :(
I'm a Weather Channel geek.
Owner of 2 WeatherStar Jr units and a WeatherStar 4000 unit
kwest93

Post by kwest93 »

Triple C wrote:
joseph_sobora wrote:

I agree! TWC is nothing like it was 9-15 years ago.. :(
good news! as of April 8th 2014 the weather channel is back on the Directv!
tin

Post by tin »

I actually feel sorry for WeatherNation about that :(
PrevueFanatic

Post by PrevueFanatic »

isnt TWC back already?
We Are What's On.
Don't really come on often, i guess it's time to change that.
kwest93

Post by kwest93 »

PrevueFanatic wrote:isnt TWC back already?
Yes.