Action Pay-Per-View

Talk about anything here.
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Action Pay-Per-View

Post by JFR_SneakPrevue98 »

Has anybody ever heard of the smallest Pay-Per-View service called Action Pay-Per-View? The only time I saw it was when my Cable System (Cable Michigan), was going from analog to digital. For a few days it replaced the only Adult Pay-Per-View channel. Did any Cable System have all 3 services: Request, Viewers Choice (now iN DEMAND) and Action Pay-Per-View? There isn't a wikipedia page for the PPV Service at all.
Jed "Sneak Prevue Fan" Raybould
You're Watching Sneak Prevue.
nwgatwcfan

Re: Action Pay-Per-View

Post by nwgatwcfan »

JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:Has anybody ever heard of the smallest Pay-Per-View service called Action Pay-Per-View? The only time I saw it was when my Cable System (Cable Michigan), was going from analog to digital. For a few days it replaced the only Adult Pay-Per-View channel. Did any Cable System have all 3 services: Request, Viewers Choice (now iN DEMAND) and Action Pay-Per-View? There isn't a wikipedia page for the PPV Service at all.
Here in our area in NW GA, yes we had all three at one point. When we first got addressable converters in 1994, our PPV was finally setup to where you could call a number to order a movie/event. (Yes, before then we had to drive to the cable company to get a decoder to receive a PPV event)...memories...

Anyway, at first we had two channels of Request TV (REQ1 on ch 59 and REQ2 on ch 60) and Action PPV was on Ch 58. Even in the barker for the new Falcon Cable PPV they showed a glmpse of Prevue Guide along with videos of a Meg Ryan film called Prelude to a Kiss as they were explaining how to order.

Eventually, they changed the 2nd Request channel to Viewer's Choice (USA of course) in our area and so we had all three. We actually had all three until Request was phased out and then we had two Viewer's Choice channels and Action PPV. Eventually, Action PPV went off of our TV at the time of the last rebuild, when there were 21 channels of Digital PPV (I could have sworn there were more), and the programming from Action was replaced with all of the Adult PPV services.

Action was kind of a catchall of PPV services. They had UFC events, action movies, but they also showed adult entertainment at various points throughout the day. Our cable company accidently unlocked these channels once before and it can be quite racy.

I hope this kind of answers your question.

Thanks,
Steven.
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Certainly does answer my question. Thanks Steven. At one point iN DEMAND had 34 channels that is if you don't include Hot Choice (if included it'd be 35 channels). Now it is down to 7 channels or 8 channels if you include Hot Choice. It could be 9 channels if you include HD PPV. So, Action Pay-Per-View combined Request, Viewers Choice and Hot Choice or Playboy TV into one single channel?
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:Certainly does answer my question. Thanks Steven. At one point iN DEMAND had 34 channels that is if you don't include Hot Choice (if included it'd be 35 channels). Now it is down to 7 channels or 8 channels if you include Hot Choice. It could be 9 channels if you include HD PPV. So, Action Pay-Per-View combined Request, Viewers Choice and Hot Choice or Playboy TV into one single channel?
I would probably say that it was more like Hot Choice with a few Action movies thrown in for good measure. And now that you mentioned it, yes we had the 34 InDemand Channels here on Digital cable.

Thanks,
Steven.
JFR_SneakPrevue98

In the few National Guide Listings (not TV Guide), I bought in the PPV part of the listings it would have both Action PPV and iN DEMAND. The guide would list the entire month. Not sure if you noticed that iN DEMAND at one point renamed iND33 and iND34 to Cinema iN DEMAND and Urban iN DEMAND.