Brand new around here - where do I start?

Discuss Prevue simulation here.
tmjrd

Brand new around here - where do I start?

Post by tmjrd »

Hello all,

I was so glad to find a community of people who love Prevue as I do. I have always wanted to build my own simulation and am amazed to see others already have!

I'm wondering now though, where do I start? Are people's creations open for others to use or is that not welcome? What do I need to install or download, and what else should I know? I don't think I am pro enough at coding to create my own simulation, but can probably edit an existing one if allowed.

Thanks!
mediabrat

Re: Brand new around here - where do I start?

Post by mediabrat »

Hi!

"Where to start" depends on your own skills and what you're interested in doing. Generally, you'll need some sort of development tool; a text editor will probably suffice for the projects you'll find here, but feel free to go more advanced than that if you find it's necessary. I personally use EditPlus, and Notepad++ is also a good one.

If people have posted their code for a project, they're generally okay with (and even encourage) others modifying and improving upon their creations. Specifically, zshall's simulator is distributed under the MIT license, which allows for modifications. Also, when tin released the code to his simulator, he did so in the hopes that someone would take it and run with it. When in doubt, just ask!

Good luck!
tin

Post by tin »

Hi, welcome, there's not many newcomers around these parts!

As @mediabrat mentioned I created a HTML5 simulator I called pgweb quite some time ago, but development has all but stopped. You can check it out on the link @mediabrat posted. There are enough instructions there and in the archives that are linked to get it working. I just tried the download files and did a fresh install, and it pretty much worked, and I just updated the index.html to stop checking the font properties so it works of a fashion and updated on that thread.

Ensure @rudyvalencia's Prevue fonts are installed (from here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=449)

You are completely free to do whatever you might like with this one, that is for sure!
tmjrd

Post by tmjrd »

Thanks for your replies!

I must admit though, I feel pretty dumb. I'm not really sure what all of this means.

What I want to do is be able to utilize someone's simulation to fill in my own channels and show titles, possibly my own videos up top (can be a YouTube link) and then have the entire guide run/play on a screen.

Honestly I'm not too well versed in these programs. Anyone mind breaking it down step by step for a complete beginner? Thank you so much.
tin

Post by tin »

No such thing exists really and the "tools" such as they are are quite rough and ready, so it requires delving in, and learning along the way.

I don't think it's too difficult really, just a little daunting to start with.
tmjrd

Post by tmjrd »

Sure, of course. By all means I can delve in and learn along the way. But my issue is that I'm not even sure how to get that far. What am I downloading? What am I installing? What program is running what? I am wholly unaware of what these tools and elements actually are. I think I need a step by step in that regard. Of course, if anyone has the patience to do so. :lol: Thanks!