TV Guide Discontinuing EPG?

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
Bolt96

TV Guide Discontinuing EPG?

Post by Bolt96 »

I read an article stating that Lionsgate is planning to "revamp" the channel by changing the name again and discontinuing the EPG its used for 25 years. I have a feeling that the current version of the grid will unfortunately be the last. :cry: They didn't state when they planned to make the changes but I think 2010 could be the last year so I would enjoy it while you can. Thoughts on this?
AriX
Site Admin

Re: TV Guide Discontinuing EPG?

Post by AriX »

I had read that Lionsgate was getting rid of the EPG, but I hadn't heard that they were changing the name. Can you link to this article please? Anyway, it's too bad, I assume someone will develop a replacement at some point, and basic cable providers will have to adopt something else, but this is not advanced technology like it was 20 years ago ;)
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Here's the article: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/? ... aid=103339

And sorry for being off topic but the people at "whatthefont" aren't the best at identifying everything (at least for me lol). I've made 5 cases there (including the one you commented on), not one identificaton.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Bolt96 wrote:Here's the article: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/? ... aid=103339

And sorry for being off topic but the people at "whatthefont" aren't the best at identifying everything (at least for me lol). I've made 5 cases there (including the one you commented on), not one identificaton.
Thanks, and lol... Were you also the one who posted this? http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/foru ... #msg664870
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Nope that actually wasn't me :D
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

I think this says it all: http://prevueguide.com/TVGuideEPG.mp4
tin

Post by tin »

HAHA loveit. Never have I seen a brand completely lose the plot about what it is supposed to be. "Think TV guide network should actually have some kind of element of TV guide in it?! Think again!!!".
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Ah well, it was only a matter of time...I wish they would have given a specific date to when they were phasing it out so I could record the changeover...Where did you find that clip anyway?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Bolt96 wrote:Ah well, it was only a matter of time...I wish they would have given a specific date to when they were phasing it out so I could record the changeover...Where did you find that clip anyway?
They're not doing it everywhere all at once - they're slowly rolling out the gridless version, and only to cable companies where 100% of subscribers have an IPG (I think). In Philadelphia, we still have the listings, although they're really tiny, confined to like the bottom fifth of the screen, and you can only see one channel at a time - basically completely useless :(

(Maybe it's bigger during non-primetime programming, I know they do that sometimes.)
tin

Post by tin »

They really ought to consider setting up another channel with the listings on it and make what this is turning into a separate service surely? Maybe it's the cable companies that are losing the plot and think they don't want such a service, I dunno.