Interesting Tidbits

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
PajamaDarkness

Re: Interesting Tidbits

Post by PajamaDarkness » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Here's an update:
PajamaDarkness wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:17 pm
TiVo was aquired by Rovi for $1.1 billion.
To conincide with the TiVo purchase, the building had removed the Rovi branding from the building and replaced it with the modern-day TiVo logo.
Image Suprisingly, something actually was put in the frame of the old TV Guide sign:
Image(best image I could get)
The satellites seem to still be there, however.
Also, here's a Street View pic from December 2007, which shows the TV-Guide sign where the TiVo/Rovi sign would've been later on:
PajamaFrix
Prevuing since 2015.

AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Nice update! Believe it or not, I'm currently in Tulsa, OK and visited the building on Thursday, so I have some images to throw into the mix.

IMG_4832-small.jpg
IMG_4832-small.jpg (461.19 KiB) Viewed 235 times
IMG_6166-small.jpg
IMG_6166-small.jpg (478.76 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Here's a close-up of the satellite dish. I believe this dish uplinked the Prevue/TV Guide feed. Presumably it's now unused as Pop moved out of the building entirely about a year ago (and may have stopped using it for this purpose earlier than that).

IMG_2835-small.jpg
IMG_2835-small.jpg (185.47 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Signs of the building's former purpose aren't hard to find. In the truck delivery area, there is a "TVGN" sign. Upstairs in the TiVo office, there's a room labeled "Motorola IPG Test Lab" (they probably still do IPG development there). And on the front entrance of the building there's still a sign calling out UVSG by name!

IMG_9564-small.jpg
IMG_9564-small.jpg (410.27 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Here's a photo of me wandering upstairs:

IMG_0057-small.jpg
IMG_0057-small.jpg (359.46 KiB) Viewed 235 times
The building is awesome. One of the prettiest office buildings I've seen. I should have taken pictures of the interior. Apparently in the past, it was a shopping mall. I desperately wish I had gotten there before TV Guide left!

woddfellow2

Post by woddfellow2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 pm

I remember passing that building in May 2011 (when I still lived in the area), and it still had the TV Guide and Rovi logos on it at the time.

Additionally, some of the 1989 film UHF was shot there (search for "Kensington Galleria").
—xoddf2

WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 pm

That's pretty cool that you got to visit the TiVo Building in person. I've never been to Tulsa in person before. I wonder if you had to get a special pass just for touring the place? Also, was the "Motorola IPG Test Lab" room and the truck delivery section still off limits to visitors? Was there even security? I could bet that Rovi/TiVo likely scrapped scraped every last remaining legacy Prevue/TV Guide computer units many years ago ever since they took over the place. I could even bet some of the employees were kind of confused at first by mentioning any legacy Prevue/TV Guide related stuff. :lol:
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan