Prevue fonts

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
rudyvalencia

Prevue fonts

Post by rudyvalencia »

As AriX mentioned in a previous post, I've been working on a Truetype version of the "PrevueC" font that was originally bitmapped. It is now finished and ready for release. You can download it below.

This font contains most of the symbols found in the bitmap font; some are logos and I did not wish to include them. Nor did I include Canadian TV program ratings icons, as we're not in Canada (lol!).

Download it below and let me know what you think. I will be producing a Truetype version of "H26f" (the monospaced font seen in earlier EPG/Prevue versions and in local text ads) soon.

NOTE: Please refer to the post "New Prevue Fonts" to get both fonts in high-quality TrueType format!
Last edited by rudyvalencia on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
LocalH

Re: Prevue fonts

Post by LocalH »

Heheh...I caught the post before you attached the file :) Not a problem, I do that all the time. Thanks for the work you put in to make this a TTF...definitely a lot more work than just converting it to a bitmap font. What size is nominal, i.e.; what size will generate glyphs identical to the original at the pixel level?
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Ok...as we know from Ari's original thread, the PrevueC font was created by someone called "J. Bruette", right?

I did a quick Google search that led me to patent 5694176 - "Method and apparatus for generating television program guides with category selection overlay" with one of the inventors being "Bruette, Jeff (Germantown, MD)". I did a Google search on the name "Jeff Bruette", by itself. First link was a LinkedIn profile. Second link was GreatBigStuff.com's "About Us" page. Based on the uniqueness of his last name, and this little blurb on his About Us page:
Prior to founding Great Big Stuff, Bruette worked as a Senior Project Manager of the TV Gateway at WorldGate Communications and in numerous positions of increasing responsibility at Commodore-Amiga Computers, a position that afforded him the opportunity to teach the late Pop-Artist Andy Warhol how to create computer graphics.
This makes me think that I've pegged the very same guy who created this font. I plan on calling him sometime tomorrow (they're in Delaware, so it's the same time zone as me, so I have a little leeway), and straight up either asking him directly, or leaving a message. If nothing else, I'll try to get him to give me his personal email address so that I can accurately record our correspondence (without a way to record it, a phone call would be cool but not helpful for accurate information). Regardless, when I call him I'll be sitting at the computer with an empty document open in Notepad, so that I can jot down anything he says, more or less.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Thanks! GREAT work!

LocalH, that's cool... I somehow missed that when googling his name. Good luck with your efforts!
swest77

Post by swest77 »

Thanks, Rudy. Looks very nice. :D
tin

Post by tin »

LocalH wrote:Ok...as we know from Ari's original thread, the PrevueC font was created by someone called "J. Bruette", right?

I did a quick Google search that led me to patent 5694176 - "Method and apparatus for generating television program guides with category selection overlay" with one of the inventors being "Bruette, Jeff (Germantown, MD)". I did a Google search on the name "Jeff Bruette", by itself. First link was a LinkedIn profile. Second link was GreatBigStuff.com's "About Us" page. Based on the uniqueness of his last name, and this little blurb on his About Us page:
Prior to founding Great Big Stuff, Bruette worked as a Senior Project Manager of the TV Gateway at WorldGate Communications and in numerous positions of increasing responsibility at Commodore-Amiga Computers, a position that afforded him the opportunity to teach the late Pop-Artist Andy Warhol how to create computer graphics.
This makes me think that I've pegged the very same guy who created this font. I plan on calling him sometime tomorrow (they're in Delaware, so it's the same time zone as me, so I have a little leeway), and straight up either asking him directly, or leaving a message. If nothing else, I'll try to get him to give me his personal email address so that I can accurately record our correspondence (without a way to record it, a phone call would be cool but not helpful for accurate information). Regardless, when I call him I'll be sitting at the computer with an empty document open in Notepad, so that I can jot down anything he says, more or less.
I did similar research to you and couldn't help wonder if jeff @ amiga.org, where ari originally got the .adf was the same Jeff. Just a thought - could be wide off the mark..
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:I did similar research to you and couldn't help wonder if jeff @ amiga.org, where ari originally got the .adf was the same Jeff. Just a thought - could be wide off the mark..
Nope. He isn't.
tin

Post by tin »

Fair do's :)
rudyvalencia

Prevue fonts

Post by rudyvalencia »

My version 1.0 of PrevueC had some mistakes in encoding, so some of you weren't able to access certain parts of the font. I am releasing a version 1.2 to correct those flaws. It is attached to this post. Please remove the version 1.0 if you have it installed.

Edit: Superseded by v2.0, with correct encoding and all characters! See 1/14 post for details.
Last edited by rudyvalencia on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
swest77

Post by swest77 »

Thanks, Rudy. :)