Prevue Updates

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
AriX
Site Admin

Prevue Updates

Post by AriX »

(Continuing from News Corp. thread so I don't hijack that one)
tin wrote:Looking forward to the prevue news, it's time for a bit of a jump start again isn't it? :)
Haha, yep. I'll spoil the news for you guys: I am in contact with three people who have versions of the Prevue software. I don't know what versions they are - maybe they're just the same ones we have now - but I believe one of them is Sneak Prevue, one of them is similar to what we have now, and I don't know about the last one. Unfortunately, one of the people I have known about for over a year now, and he rarely gets back to me. I am going to have to keep talking to him to see if I can get a copy of the software. But another guy seems promising; I think I'm going to be able to buy the disk off of him in the next few days.

I am also in contact with several people who have Prevue Amiga 2000s without the software - so if anyone here is interested in owning original Prevue hardware, let me know, and I can hook you up (some of these people are probably willing to sell). Essentially, I spent many hours scouring eBay feedback to find who had bought and sold various Prevue hardware over the past few years.

The other news is that I have rewritten my Prevue sender code... it's much cleaner now, and I would be willing to share it if people are interested. I am now in the process of writing more clients/listeners for it, so that you guys can take advantage of the sender (the sender code itself is pretty useless unless you have my exact setup).

My goal is to have six listeners:
- Mac Atari800
- Mac UAE
- Mac serial
- Windows Atari800 (or Altirra if that's easier)
- Windows UAE
- Windows serial

I have already written the Mac Atari800, Mac UAE, Mac serial, and Windows serial clients... I mostly just need to worry about the other two, and CTRL support.
tin

Re: Prevue Updates

Post by tin »

Very nice. I'll post quickly now, and more detailed in a couple of days (work commitments). I am DEFINITELY interested in hardware, but will need someone who's prepared to ship it to the UK! :o
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Prevue Updates

Post by JFR_SneakPrevue98 »

I am very interested in a Prevue Amiga 2000. I'd love to see what the Sneak Prevue software is like.
Jed "Sneak Prevue Fan" Raybould
You're Watching Sneak Prevue.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:I'd love to see what the Sneak Prevue software is like.
So would I!

I'll keep your and tin's interest in mind - it might be a few weeks before I can get any software or hardware.
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Prevue Updates

AriX wrote:
So would I!

I'll keep your and tin's interest in mind - it might be a few weeks before I can get any software or hardware.
I just wonder if the Sneak Prevue software would have movie promos be aired first some with their upcoming listings and some without, show about 3 pages worth of listings, do a mixture of movie and event promos. In that mix there would be the short block for Sneak Prevue Tonight. When a movie was close to starting the short block for Up Next would air.

On my Cable System a movie promo countdown would start about 45 minutes befor start time and have a countup that would end about 15 minutes after the start time. With the event promos would start with a 90 minute countdown and end about 15 minutes while the event was in progress.
20CenturyFan

Post by 20CenturyFan »

I think it'd be cool if any of these were an older version of the software than what we have, even if it is a blue grid Prevue. Maybe the listings on one of these will have tags and settings used that were not used in the one we currently use (so even if its the same maybe we can build on our knowledge base). It'd also be interesting to be able to emulate (rather than simulate) Sneak Prevue. Thanks for the update! :D
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Very sweet! Definitely count me in for that hardware as well!
mixdup

Post by mixdup »

I am interested in all of the above..buying some amiga software AND getting ahold of the sender code
JoeTheDragon

Post by JoeTheDragon »

JFR_SneakPrevue98 wrote:
AriX wrote:
So would I!

I just wonder if the Sneak Prevue software would have movie promos be aired first some with their upcoming listings and some without, show about 3 pages worth of listings, do a mixture of movie and event promos. In that mix there would be the short block for Sneak Prevue Tonight. When a movie was close to starting the short block for Up Next would air.

On my Cable System a movie promo countdown would start about 45 minutes befor start time and have a countup that would end about 15 minutes after the start time. With the event promos would start with a 90 minute countdown and end about 15 minutes while the event was in progress.
what about manual entering of events back in the 90's some local teams had there games on PPV.
Also any Olympics Triplecast stuff in the older software?
JFR_SneakPrevue98

Prevue Updates

JoeTheDragon wrote: what about manual entering of events back in the 90's some local teams had there games on PPV.
Also any Olympics Triplecast stuff in the older software?
There isn't a way for local teams to be on PPV. Programming on the PPV channels was controled by Request (now defunct) and Viewer's Choice (now iN DEMAND). Cable Systems have 1 or 2 channels called P.E.G. (Public Educational Government). A P.E.G. channel is the only channel a local team (High School) could be on. In the mid 90s there wasn't these Sports Packages that we have now.

What was that Olympics Triplecast thing? In the mid 90s broadcast networks could have more coverage on their sister cable networks. If CBS had the Olympics then they could have more coverage on Spike (then TNN) or any of their sister cable networks. Since, NBC has the rights to the Olympics they have expanded coverage on USA, Bravo, NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus), Universal HD and launch 2 temp HD channels called NBC Olympics 1 & 2.