How Prevue Guide worked in my city

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
Win95Setup

Re: How Prevue Guide worked in my city

Post by Win95Setup »

I am sorry for the bump, but I have found more Prevue/EPG tapes. They are not broken and are in very high quality. Most are from 1988 to 1992, some of it is from other cable companies. I also found a 1997 error. But I can't put them on the internet, sadly. I might make artwork based on what was on the tapes.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Win95Setup wrote:I am sorry for the bump, but I have found more Prevue/EPG tapes. They are not broken and are in very high quality. Most are from 1988 to 1992, some of it is from other cable companies. I also found a 1997 error. But I can't put them on the internet, sadly. I might make artwork based on what was on the tapes.
Perhaps you could mail them to someone and we could put them on the Internet for you? (and send back the tapes)

I would be happy to do it.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

AriX wrote: Perhaps you could mail them to someone and we could put them on the Internet for you? (and send back the tapes)

I would be happy to do it.
I'll second that as well!
joseph_sobora

Post by joseph_sobora »

I would like to see it as well.
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

In my city (I live in the Province of Buenos Aires), we had Prevue Latino on my cable system, TeleRed (http://www.telered.com.ar/). It replaced a channel called Teleguía which ran over MS-DOS, though for some reason there was a time when both Prevue and Teleguía were seen in 2 different channel! Talk about redundancy. Anyways, Prevue showed up on channel 4 in early 1997, then moving to channel 46. It used to brerak A LOT. Probably the first time I remember it broke was when the screen suddenly went pink, and the word "PREVUE" started filling the screen :P
For a while, that channel was a must stop for me, but after a while it broke for good for at least 2 months, and while the listings still worked, the upper part was entirely black: no video or anything. Then suddenly the video ads came back, but with no sound. I suppose the ineptitude of the operators led to the channel being removed from TeleRed in late 1998, before it became "TV Guide - La Señal". So far, the only cable system I know that had TV Guide Network was Cablevisión, an in fact there are videos of it on Youtube. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVaFP6Cq8Q
Last edited by Eduardo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Eduardo wrote:In my city (I live in the Province of Buenos Aires), we had Prevue Latino on my cable system, TeleRed (http://www.telered.com.ar/). It replaced a channel called Teleguía which ran over MS-DOS, though for some reason there was a time when both Prevue and Teleguía were seen in 2 different channel! Talk about redundancy. Anyways, Prevue showed up on channel 4 in early 1997, then moving to channel 46. It used to brerak A LOT. Probably the first time I remember it broke was when the screen suddenly went pink, and the word "PREVUE" started filling the screen :P
For a while, that channel was a must stop for me, but after a while it broke for good for at least 2 months, and while the listings still worked, the upper part was entirely black: no video or anything. Then suddenly the video ads came back, but with no sound. I suppose the ineptitude of the operators led to the channel being removed from TeleRed in late 198, before it became "TV Guide - La Señal". So far, the only cable system I know that had TV Guide Network was Cablevisión, an in fact there are videos of it on Youtube. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVaFP6Cq8Q
Interesting, so you had Prevue for only about a year?

I wonder if the screen going pink and having the Prevue logo appear was the reboot process for the guide - could give us a hint as to what platform the "Prevue Junior" thing ran on?
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

I'm pretty sure it was the exact same Amigas used in the US. The guide looked the same as the late 90s guide used in most American cable systems. It was blue and everything :mrgreen: I'm sorry I can't give much more detail, I was only 9 years old at the time, and in fact for a time I still preferred the old MS-DOS guide we had, since it had a soothing background music which wasn't found on Prevue. The latter had TV shows ads (obviously), with the occasional Prevue static screen with music, but curiously no advertisements or anything related to my cable system. I suppose they had no idea how to use an Amiga! :?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Eduardo wrote:I'm pretty sure it was the exact same Amigas used in the US. The guide looked the same as the late 90s guide used in most American cable systems. It was blue and everything :mrgreen: I'm sorry I can't give much more detail, I was only 9 years old at the time, and in fact for a time I still preferred the old MS-DOS guide we had, since it had a soothing background music which wasn't found on Prevue. The latter had TV shows ads (obviously), with the occasional Prevue static screen with music, but curiously no advertisements or anything related to my cable system. I suppose they had no idea how to use an Amiga! :?
Haha, got it.