Sneak Prevue Laserdisc!

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
AriX
Site Admin

Re: Sneak Prevue Laserdisc!

Post by AriX »

Bolt96 wrote:Okay just got it today! :D I also found a LD player on craigslist for $50 so hopefully I'll be able to get a video capture soon. Here are some photos I took: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39880645@N ... 538683339/
That's awesome... Can't wait to see it!
WeatherSTARIII

Post by WeatherSTARIII »

That is so cool! :D Where did this came from?
WeatherSTAR III:
Prevue Guide/EPG fan and classic Weather Channel fan
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

WeatherSTARIII wrote:That is so cool! :D Where did this came from?
Just Ebay lol.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

Check my post above as I just finished adding more videos. Can't think of anything else to add as the rest are mostly more pay-per-view ads. I could make a compilation of all of the pay-per-view stuff but don't know if anyone wants to see that.
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

Bolt96 wrote:Check my post above as I just finished adding more videos. Can't think of anything else to add as the rest are mostly more pay-per-view ads. I could make a compilation of all of the pay-per-view stuff but don't know if anyone wants to see that.
I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the ads that you may have. I do have a couple of questions though. As you are playing these back on the Laserdisc player, how are the sections divided? Since I have never owned a LD player before, but I have seen some for sale online, was the disk divided into chapters or tracks? That would be a key to how the software knew to jump to that specific ad or promo on the LaserDisc. I was thinking that it also had to be able to read the time code on the disk to jump to the specific ad, etc. And one last question, how may tracks or chapters were on the disk?

I appreciate you showing all of these clips from the disk. It takes me back a ways. (By the way, the Falcon Cable TV timecard was the one my cable company used for almost 6-7 years)

Thanks,
Steven.
Bolt96

Post by Bolt96 »

nwgatwcfan wrote:
Bolt96 wrote:Check my post above as I just finished adding more videos. Can't think of anything else to add as the rest are mostly more pay-per-view ads. I could make a compilation of all of the pay-per-view stuff but don't know if anyone wants to see that.
I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the ads that you may have. I do have a couple of questions though. As you are playing these back on the Laserdisc player, how are the sections divided? Since I have never owned a LD player before, but I have seen some for sale online, was the disk divided into chapters or tracks? That would be a key to how the software knew to jump to that specific ad or promo on the LaserDisc. I was thinking that it also had to be able to read the time code on the disk to jump to the specific ad, etc. And one last question, how may tracks or chapters were on the disk?

I appreciate you showing all of these clips from the disk. It takes me back a ways. (By the way, the Falcon Cable TV timecard was the one my cable company used for almost 6-7 years)

Thanks,
Steven.
Ok I'll try to put up a few videos in parts later. Oddly I did not notice any indications of separate chapters. I could be just not noticing it, or maybe they only used the time code to play whats on the laserdisc.
nwgatwcfan

Post by nwgatwcfan »

I did some research on the actual LaserDisc Player they used for Sneak Prevue. There is a website that has a photo of the system in full. If you need it, I'll post a link to it. Anyway, the Model they used was the Pioneer LD-V8000 LaserDisc Player. This model was used in commercial applications and not necessarily for home use. I did some Googling on this model and it can be ran directly from the computer. It uses a serial RS-232 cable that connects to the back of the unit. There is a site that has the full user manual for this model. One of the features is that the computer can send a command for the LD player to jump to a specific frame and start playing or freeze frame at that frame. So, that might answer the question about chapters or tracks.

It would be worth a search online for this because it may lead to clues on how the Amiga would pull up the LD player.

Thanks again,
Steven.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

nwgatwcfan wrote:I did some research on the actual LaserDisc Player they used for Sneak Prevue. There is a website that has a photo of the system in full. If you need it, I'll post a link to it. Anyway, the Model they used was the Pioneer LD-V8000 LaserDisc Player. This model was used in commercial applications and not necessarily for home use. I did some Googling on this model and it can be ran directly from the computer. It uses a serial RS-232 cable that connects to the back of the unit. There is a site that has the full user manual for this model. One of the features is that the computer can send a command for the LD player to jump to a specific frame and start playing or freeze frame at that frame. So, that might answer the question about chapters or tracks.

It would be worth a search online for this because it may lead to clues on how the Amiga would pull up the LD player.

Thanks again,
Steven.
Sounds pretty cool. I'd love the link to that if you don't mind.