Sneak Prevue Laserdisc!

Discuss the awesomeness of the Prevue Channel, Prevue Interactive, Prevue Networks/United Video Satellite Group, TV Guide Inc., etc. right here.
tin

Re: Sneak Prevue Laserdisc!

Post by tin »

nwgatwcfan wrote:tin, to answer the first question. On the back of the LD-V8000, there were three inputs on the back for the video. I'm thinking that on the UVCOM board, these were loopbacks to the Laserdisc player. The LD player had the ability for text to be overlayed over the video playing. I'm wondering if it was for this reason the UV card that the multiple outputs. Might also explain a previous post when they were trying to run the Prevue Guide software that there was no sound, etc. Their system may have been setup for Sneak Prevue only. You may want to investigate this further.
I'm reasonably sure that the inputs on the LD-V8000 are for sync only. Whether they were used or not I can't say. I'm also sure the LD's text overlay feature was not used (it only has a fixed 20 char font which is not seen on the Sneak Prevue videos on Youtube at least). Also the UVCOM genlock used in sneak (as far as we know) only had one output. Hmmm not sure about all this now.....

BTW does anyone know what the box is underneath the LD player on http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardw ... ?HARDID=54
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Aha, I had seen this, thought maybe there were more images somewhere showing more detail.

One thing that interests me with this page is that it says that sneak prevue had it's own satellite feed as well as the laserdiscs. Do we have any information about that? I will go and watch the videos again to see if I can see the switching between the two :)
I believe some versions of the Prevue Guide software had the capability to switch between satellite and LaserDisc, but I don't believe that Sneak Prevue could ever do this, simply because I don't think they ever had a satellite feed dedicated to it.

But wait - according to the Big Book of Amiga Hardware, the Sneak Prevue used the same Zephyrus model 101 data demodulator as the regular Prevue machines. In fact, as Steven suggested, the Sneak Prevue must have used the same satellite data feed as the regular Prevue Channel, simply for the channel numbers and start times. It is also likely that the LaserDisc timecodes were sent over satellite as well. This is really fantastic news for us, since I believe I might be able to get the Sneak Prevue source code in a little bit, which could help us finish up documenting the protocol (and maybe we could figure out the Amiga mode K!).
tin wrote:Yeah that's a bit of a shame. I read some comments on the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlkLDFOgJe4 and am interested about the "flip out" comment. I wonder if it flipped out if the local operator did not change the disc on time? After the videos Bolt96 posted, it looks like the Amiga would seek the disc to exact times for video/static backgrounds and audio. So if the Amiga was seeking to times meant for a different disc, I am sure that would look like some flipping out! Or maybe they were a bit cleverer than that, and the flipping out was just standard bugginess. To be fair, prevue guide is clearly quite buggy so I doubt sneak was much better.

<edit> having a think about it all, they should have made the system have 2 videodisc players. It could have queued up one while the other was playing, or used one for continuous background music while various branded promos were playing. I find the audio stopping for 1sec over and over again jarring. Maybe that would be too expensive...
I would guess, like you are saying, that the Amiga would at some point send updated LaserDisc information and timecodes, at which point things might go awry until the LaserDisc is replaced. Maybe Prevue Networks instructed cable companies to put the LaserDiscs in at a certain time (i.e. exactly 8 AM on Monday or whatever). I do know that Sneak Prevue started out as a completely new project, and was not based off of the Prevue Guide, although I heard at some point that there was some code sharing between the projects (likely the satellite data parser and the LaserDisc controller).

Of course, 2 LaserDisc players would have been better, but that would definitely have been more expensive. The thing is, although the stopping at the end of music or a promo is a little bit jarring, it really isn't an issue at all during the previews themselves, because the LaserDisc always pauses on the title card of the program.
I do notice, however, that the seek time in the video you linked to seems to be worse than the earlier videos I saw. Maybe that LD player was having some issues?
nwgatwcfan wrote:tin, to answer the first question. On the back of the LD-V8000, there were three inputs on the back for the video. I'm thinking that on the UVCOM board, these were loopbacks to the Laserdisc player. The LD player had the ability for text to be overlayed over the video playing. I'm wondering if it was for this reason the UV card that the multiple outputs. Might also explain a previous post when they were trying to run the Prevue Guide software that there was no sound, etc. Their system may have been setup for Sneak Prevue only. You may want to investigate this further.
I don't really think that's the case. The Amigas definitely overlaid all text themselves and did not make use of the built-in character generator.

If it helps anyone, here are all of the pictures of the UVCOM4 that I know of (came from BBoAH and swest77): http://cl.ly/0t171c2L3S3q2d252H1p
I really wish I could read that label above the card on the one picture of the back of a Sneak Prevue machine, but sadly it's too blurry. It looks like it says something and then "card". So I'm still a bit confused about those ports. Maybe higher-end setups supported multiple LaserDisc players like tin suggested?
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote:But wait - according to the Big Book of Amiga Hardware, the Sneak Prevue used the same Zephyrus model 101 data demodulator as the regular Prevue machines. In fact, as Steven suggested, the Sneak Prevue must have used the same satellite data feed as the regular Prevue Channel, simply for the channel numbers and start times. It is also likely that the LaserDisc timecodes were sent over satellite as well. This is really fantastic news for us, since I believe I might be able to get the Sneak Prevue source code in a little bit, which could help us finish up documenting the protocol (and maybe we could figure out the Amiga mode K!).
Aha! While I would not be 100% sure it must use exactly the same feed (they could have duplicated the information) I'll agree with you that it's quite likely. And if you're able to get the source that would be amazing, because it's likely to tell us several or maybe all of the information commands, AND probably (hopefully) how the control feed worked as well - particularly if Sneak Prevue Tonight was on the 1/2 hour and controlled centrally by the same kind of feed.
AriX wrote:Of course, 2 LaserDisc players would have been better, but that would definitely have been more expensive. The thing is, although the stopping at the end of music or a promo is a little bit jarring, it really isn't an issue at all during the previews themselves, because the LaserDisc always pauses on the title card of the program.
As you say the use of that particular LD player is great because of the image memory, but the little snippets of anonymous music stopping and starting makes it less of an impulsive watch than Prevue Guide (IMHO).
AriX wrote: If it helps anyone, here are all of the pictures of the UVCOM4 that I know of (came from BBoAH and swest77): http://cl.ly/0t171c2L3S3q2d252H1p
I really wish I could read that label above the card on the one picture of the back of a Sneak Prevue machine, but sadly it's too blurry. It looks like it says something and then "card". So I'm still a bit confused about those ports. Maybe higher-end setups supported multiple LaserDisc players like tin suggested?
Hmm. Interesting. Maybe Sneak was originally designed for a satellite feed, or multiple players as you say, and maybe the idea died off, or the only examples we have seen so far are single player versions. Also the card explains how the local company could insert their own Ads on PG, as some kind of video switcher would be needed?

Also, noticed that the UVCOM4 is a zorro card?
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:BTW does anyone know what the box is underneath the LD player on http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardw ... ?HARDID=54
Strangely enough, that is actually a fan/filter unit that is attached to the LaserDisc player. How do I know this? Well, I was at the right place, at the right time, and in a few days I will be the proud owner of an original Sneak Prevue Pioneer LD-V8000.

I'll share more details soon. (Also I bought one of the other two 1994 Sneak Prevue LaserDiscs.)

By the way, this may answer some of our questions about the LaserDisc timecodes. This is taken from UVSG's 1998 10-K filing:
For its Sneak Prevue analog service, Prevue Networks supplies the Programming Distributor with a control unit containing a computer and a laser disc player. Approximately every two weeks, Prevue Networks ships an updated laser disc that contains video clips for upcoming programming, graphics and other information for Sneak Prevue. Prevue Networks continuously sends, via satellite, updated information and instructions coded for specific systems. The control unit then tailors, collates and formats the video contained on the laser disc and the information received by satellite.
Also of interest:
For its Sneak Prevue digital service, Prevue Networks supplies the Programming Distributor with a MPEG I+ digital video file server. Video clips are distributed via satellite in digitally compressed format. System specific video can be downloaded at any time. The information and instructions are distributed via satellite in the same manner as the Sneak Prevue analog service.
So maybe Sneak Prevue did have its own satellite carrier somewhere? OR, now that I think about it, maybe one of those other data carriers that some noticed on the Prevue Channel's transponder were used to /slowly/ push video across to these "digital video file servers". And then the UVCOM4 card was used to switch between/combine the LaserDisc video with the MPEG video?

While we're talking about Sneak Prevue, I found a video of it that I hadn't seen before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzZPRqlacw
tin

Post by tin »

Aha, found the first off-air video I've seen that uses Bolt96's laserdisc (or at least the same branding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQWIzjZC7L0
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

tin wrote:Aha, found the first off-air video I've seen that uses Bolt96's laserdisc (or at least the same branding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQWIzjZC7L0
Nice find!

Here's mine: 1 2

I believe the remaining LaserDisc on eBay is mislabeled and is in fact the disc for April 1994 (which may include the clip that you linked to). Hopefully my LaserDisc player will come soon!
tin

Post by tin »

AriX wrote: Here's mine: 1 2
COOL!
AriX wrote: Hopefully my LaserDisc player will come soon!
COOOOOOOOOOOL!!

hehe can't wait to see the results.....
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

I'm thinking a video like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9kaxqGmaa4 may be an example of the MPEG delivery system instead of the LaserDisc, simply because it doesn't have those pauses at the end of each audio/video clip.
AriX
Site Admin

Post by AriX »

So, I received my Sneak Prevue Laserdisc player, which I will take pictures of and upload tomorrow. The thing weighs like 60 pounds, and it's really cool. As soon as I got it, I plugged it in, pressed the stop/eject button and as the tray opened I thought I saw something shiny...

EDIT: Okay, so, here's a... well... Sneak Prevue:
tin

Post by tin »

So it already had a disc in it when you got it? excellent :)